Unable to connect to Internet, but Internet is reachable (1 Viewer)

patkhoo

Portal Member
January 24, 2006
Hi,

I'm a noob, and only just recently started setting up a HTPC and Mediaportal. My problem is that some modules, like Weather and Shoutcast "browse" for Radio stations cannot connect to the Internet servers. On the other hand, other plugins, like My News RSS can get RSS newsfeeds without problems.

MP Version: 0.2 RC 2
Skin: default skin
Windows Version: XP2 Pro SP2 (clean install)
CPU Type: P4 2.66
Memory: 512MB
Motherboard Chipset: Intel 915
Network Card 1: Intel onboard 10/100 LAN (disabled in Windows)
Network Card 2: LinkSys PCI Wireless LAN 802.11G (signal strength: very good, 36+Mb/s)
Default Browser: Firefox 1.5

I have tested this PC using IE and Firefox, both can reach sites like weather.com etc without problems. I do use a Linksys WRT G router, but no proxy. Some other posts in this forum mentioned the Win_HTTP proxy issue, and I've verified with proxycfg that there are no proxy settings in my XP.

Some possible ideas:
a) I think I had .Net 1.1 + .Net 1.1SP1 installed before adding on .Net 2.0, could this be the issue?

b) I've seen some ActiveX thing for Mozilla for the web browser component in the Mediaportal, is this required since my Windows default browser is Firefox? (Actually, I have tried to reset my default to IE, but it doesn't fix the problem)

c) Is it becuase I have two NICs in the PC, but only one is used/activated? The HTPC is in my living room, too far away from the switch, so i "disabled" (in Windows) the wired LAN and use only the Wireless LAN.. There are no other devices in my Network Connections.. Should I completely disable the onboard LAN (like in BIOS)?

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I find this most strange and perplexing! :) Many thanks in advance..

patkhoo

Portal Member
January 24, 2006
wishywashy said:
Do you have the windows firewall on? Is it set to allow Media Portal as an exception?

Yes, This is the SP2 Firewall on the default settings. With your suggestion, I've added both the mediaportal.exe and configuration.exe as exceptions, still no luck. Besides, I never recieved a notification from the Firewall asking for access.. (but I did with TightVNC on this Machine)

I also tried my own idea above, disabling the onboard LAN in BIOS, but still no potatoes..

:cry:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    if auto detect ticked in lan settings that could be it. found that out when leaving a browser open had no problems but if shut down was getting no connection faults. anyway look cant hurt

Ray 8)

patkhoo

Portal Member
    January 24, 2006
    Paranoid Delusion said:
    if auto detect ticked in lan settings that could be it. found that out when leaving a browser open had no problems but if shut down was getting no connection faults. anyway look cant hurt

Ray 8)

Hi Ray, are you referring to "Automatically Detect Settings" in the LAN Settings page of the Internet options right?

Those are not enabled.., none of them on that page are enabled actually..

What stumps me is that the plugin (My News RSS) works perfectly, but not the core modules (Weather, Radio station browse).. Seems like they use different methods/APIs to connect to the Internet?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Patkhoo

if you think thats strange everytime i go into the my weather, phonetools my fax answering service releases the modem, got to figure that one out one day. anyone out there give us a clue.

Ray :!:

jonez

Portal Member
    April 17, 2006
    Virgina, USA
    same problem here.. :(

a few weeks ago, MediaPorta stopped pulling down weather data.

At first it would report old stats, but when i deleted the curWeather.xml file, it reports it can't find the data for my city.

I can almost understand it for my little podunk, but it says the same about Washington DC!

its been this way for weeks of nightly builds, tried deactivating the firewall, made sure weather.com wasn't bocking my IP or anything weird...

Any resolution found?

Thanks,
    -Jeff

jonez

Portal Member
    April 17, 2006
    Virgina, USA
    Details

Area: Media Portal Program
    MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0 RC4$CVS-04.06.2006-14:22:45,25
    (2006-06-04)
    MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo Metal Dark
    Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
    .NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
    DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
    Audio Codec: AC3Filter
    Video Codec: DScaler Mpeg2 Video Decoder
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    Memory: 1 GB
    Motherboard: RS482-M754
    TV Card Model: Hauppauge 500MCE
    TV Card Type: -
    TV Card Driver: -
    Video Card Model: Radeon X1300 Series (256 MB)
    Video Card Driver: -
    Video Card Resolution: 800x600
    Video Render Type: VMR9
    Audio Card Model: Realtek AC'97 Audio
    Audio Card Driver: -
    Synopsis::

From the MP logs:
    6/4/2006 10:44:03 AM MyWeather.SkipConnectionTest: False
    6/4/2006 10:44:03 AM MyWeather.Download: No internet connection

I really do tave TEH INTERNET! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom