unable to get I player working (1 Viewer)

scotstrength

Portal Member
February 5, 2008
Prague
Hi folks,
I decided to install the online videos plug in and have a go at watching BBC i player through MP.
However so far i am not having any luck i am getting the 'unable to play video no url' response.
All the other sites i have tried so far are working.
I am using MP 1.2.1 and latest version of online vids downloaded from the site, plus i have saf 5 and checked my codecs to make sure they were enabled as per FAQ.
I player works fine through the regular website.
Should i look at manually adding the feeds and urls or is there something else i need to configure in online videos?

Cheers

scotstrength

Portal Member
February 5, 2008
Prague
Re: BBC i Player problem - logs attached

Just to update.
I am accessing from the Czech Republic and i use identity cloaker as my vpn server. I had no luck connecting via the standard servers but when i launched open VPN i was able to select all of the stored/saved content on I player but not live tv.
Whenever i select BBC one for example i get the choice of resolution then when i select it i get the MP circle spinning but no buffering what so ever.
I am thinking this could be a codec issue??
I have saf 5 installed and it is the lav codec that pops up in the configuration of online vids, should i switch this to flv??
Any thoughts much appreciated, i feel like i am almost there.

Cheers

scotstrength

Portal Member
February 5, 2008
Prague
I am still persevering with trying to get the BBC live channels to play through online vids whilst using an external proxy.
So far i can access all of the stored content and catch up programmes from the site but i am still having difficulty with live content.
When i click on the station i get to choose the resolution but then the blue circle just spins. If i leave it i occasionally get the odd picture but it is all pixelated and the sound cuts in and out - but at least it does connect.
Now when i click on F9 and try the 'play with' and select VLC it plays like a charm, no problems at all and i left it playing for about 2 hours without any drops.
So what does this tell you??
Is it a codec issue? Is it being routed differently through VLC?
Would really appreciate some input here from more experienced users.
I know i should have probably included some logs but the wife is home so will not get access to play with my toy until tomorrow!:oops:

Cheers

scotstrength

Portal Member
February 5, 2008
Prague
Hi folks,
I would like to post some logs about this issue tomorrow and i am wondering if someone will actually be able to have a look at them and give me some ideas.
No-one as yet has said anything and i am wondering if this is a taboo subject what with the proxy and the like?
Wouldn't want to upset the MP powers that be but would really like to solve this little conundrum.

Cheers

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I wouldn't say it's taboo, the problem simply is, who do you expect to help? I can only speak for myself, but I cannot spend my spare time on every user's different problems. Which will take me hours to reproduce. I don't mean this in any bad way, just trying to make you understand why you didn't get any responses.

If it plays fine with VLC, you have a fallback solution. Maybe in that case it's a codec problem.

scotstrength

Portal Member
    February 5, 2008
    Prague
    Hi offbyone,
    I was really surprised as most people chip in with some advice even if it's just moral support. I really did think i had pi**ed off people with subject matter and was half expecting a warning.
    I understand that my problem is a very specific one which is possibly only applicable for a handful of users therefore my pool of responses is likely to be much less than a mainstream question.
    It is very hard sometimes when your own knowledge only goes so far and you know there are people out there who have a greater working experience and you want to tap their brains but you have no access. It is then up to your own trial and error and exploration to get the job done, which of course is no bad thing as your own knowledge keeps expanding and you get better anyway!
    Go figure!

Efros

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2006
    Maine
    Home Country
    England England
    I can only extend my sympathies, I use a VPN from the states to get iPlayer and until about a week ago it was working well under OnlineVideos, however the Beeb I believe has changed the format of the iPlayer URLs and now OnlineVideos is having problems with content that is being added. I can still access the material from my browser but not a s satisfactory as MP. So now maybe not the best time for someone just starting to try and access content. have had some success with this BBC iPlayer - Bigscreen :: Home it is the iplayer interface optimized for use on a TV, you still need to use a mouselike device but it is better than URL error popups.

userjan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 14, 2008
    USA, Greeneville, TN
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Right now i'm using Nevermiss.tv app that I start with multishortcut, this works pretty good.

The program will follow the connection/proxy settings of IE

NeverMiss.TV

scotstrength

Portal Member
    February 5, 2008
    Prague
    Thanks for that tip userjan, i will have a look at that for sure.
    Cheers for the moral support Efros, i am will still keep messing around with it to see if i can find a solution though. By the way were you able to get BBC live tv to play through media portal and not have to open it with vlc? If so can you tell me your codec set up, if your a SAF user can you specify the version please as well. Will still keep plugging away as they say!!

Cheers all

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom