Unable to install MediaPortal 1.2.1 on Win XP SP3, .net 3.5 SP1 (1 Viewer)

cliverlong

Portal Member
October 7, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.1
MediaPortal Skin:
Windows Version: /win XP SP3
CPU Type: Pentium 4 2GHz
HDD:
Memory: 1GB
Motherboard:
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9600
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: N/A
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV: N/A
TV - HTPC Connection:

I am trying to install the latest Media Portal on a relatively old Win XP laptop with latest software maintenance. The plan is to use this device as the tv server, not as a device to drive a TV directly.

When I start installation dialog says internet connection not active (it is)

Installation fails with following error messages in the dialog box

I cannot work out from the instructions given how to start "jit" debugging on Windows XP

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unrecognized configuration section system.serviceModel. (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config line 134)
at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSchemaErrors.ThrowIfErrors(Boolean ignoreLocal)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfParseErrors(ConfigurationSchemaErrors schemaErrors)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfInitErrors()
at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.PrepareConfigSystem()
at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)
at System.Configuration.PrivilegedConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)
at System.Net.Configuration.DefaultProxySectionInternal.GetSection()
at System.Net.WebRequest.get_InternalDefaultWebProxy()
at System.Net.WebClient.get_Proxy()
at MediaPortal.DeployTool.HTTPDownload.DownloadFile(String url, String targetFile, String userAgentOs)
at MediaPortal.DeployTool.HTTPDownload.ShowDialog(String url, String targetFile, String userAgentOs)
at MediaPortal.DeployTool.Utils.GetDownloadString(String session_id, String node_id)
at MediaPortal.DeployTool.InstallationChecks.DirectX9Checker..ctor()
at MediaPortal.DeployTool.Sections.InstallDlg.PopulateListView()
at MediaPortal.DeployTool.Sections.InstallDlg..ctor()
at MediaPortal.DeployTool.DialogFlowHandler.GetDialogInstance(DialogType dlgType)
at MediaPortal.DeployTool.Sections.MPSettingsDlg.GetNextDialog()
at MediaPortal.DeployTool.DeployTool.nextButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3623 (GDR.050727-3600)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
MediaPortal.DeployTool
Assembly Version: 1.2.0.12710
Win32 Version: 1.2.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Clive/LOCALS~1/Temp/MediaPortal%20Installation/MediaPortal.DeployTool.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3624 (GDR.050727-3600)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi and welcome :)

This is a problem unless you have downloaded the required packages and put them in particular places where the installer will be able to find them.

Are you running the installer with administrator privileges, and have you got a firewall that might be preventing the installer from accessing the internet?

mm

cliverlong

Portal Member
    October 7, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi and welcome :)

Thank you for your very prompt response
    This is a problem unless you have downloaded the required packages and put them in particular places where the installer will be able to find them.
    I believe I followed the instructions for downloading the package and updating Windows XP with latest maintenance particularly .net 3.5 SP1 ( although that took several goes to install).

If you believe or know from the information I have provided something is misplaced can you tell me what it is or where in the documentation the answer is as I have searched and believe I have followed the install instructions. I am happy to provide more information if I know where to look for it.

Are you running the installer with administrator privileges,
    I have no idea, so that probably means no. I click on the install package I downloaded from the mediaportal web site.

and have you got a firewall that might be preventing the installer from accessing the internet?

mm
    Windows firewall is off. Router has the standard inbound firewall rules - that present no problems to other applications that check for updates on a regular basis: openoffice, windows update, AVG, ...

Regards

Clive

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Clive

I believe I followed the instructions for downloading the package and updating Windows XP with latest maintenance particularly .net 3.5 SP1 ( although that took several goes to install).

If you believe or know from the information I have provided something is misplaced can you tell me what it is or where in the documentation the answer is as I have searched and believe I have followed the install instructions. I am happy to provide more information if I know where to look for it.
    I don't think you've made any mistakes. Rather, what I'm saying is that when you install you have two approaches:

1. Install with internet.
    2. Install without internet.

If you install with internet then installation should be as simple as running the installer and selecting all your preferred options.

If you attempt to install without access to the internet (as you have in this case - even though it is not what you're trying to do) then you have to provide all the packages that MP would otherwise download in a specific location. This is complicated and not recommended.

To be clear, the error in the info you provided in your first post shows what the installer is trying to do:

MediaPortal.DeployTool.HTTPDownload.DownloadFile(String url, String targetFile, String userAgentOs)

It is trying to download a file. This is because internet is not available (the installer told you this) and you have not provided the packages that the installer needs to install without the internet. Again, providing those packages is not the recommended approach unless you really don't have access to the internet.

The recommended approach to solving this problem is to figure out why MP might think internet is unavailable and "fix" it.

Are you running the installer with administrator privileges,
    I have no idea, so that probably means no. I click on the install package I downloaded from the mediaportal web site.
    To be sure, right click on the install package and select "run as..." then fill in the credentials to run the installer with the administrator account.

and have you got a firewall that might be preventing the installer from accessing the internet?
    Windows firewall is off. Router has the standard inbound firewall rules - that present no problems to other applications that check for updates on a regular basis: openoffice, windows update, AVG, ...
    Okay. Has the laptop got multiple network connections like a wireless adapter *and* a wired adapter. If so, try disabling the one that is not connected to the internet before running the installer. To do this, go to control panel, select network connections, right click on an a connection that you want to disable and click disable. You can enable the connection again later with the same procedure except clicking enable instead of disable.

mm

cliverlong

Portal Member
    October 7, 2011
    Home Country
    thank-you for your prompt and detailed response.

Hi again Clive

I don't think you've made any mistakes. Rather, what I'm saying is that when you install you have two approaches:

1. Install with internet.
    2. Install without internet.

If you install with internet then installation should be as simple as running the installer and selecting all your preferred options.

If you attempt to install without access to the internet (as you have in this case - even though it is not what you're trying to do) then you have to provide all the packages that MP would otherwise download in a specific location. This is complicated and not recommended.

To be clear, the error in the info you provided in your first post shows what the installer is trying to do:

MediaPortal.DeployTool.HTTPDownload.DownloadFile(String url, String targetFile, String userAgentOs)

It is trying to download a file. This is because internet is not available (the installer told you this) and you have not provided the packages that the installer needs to install without the internet. Again, providing those packages is not the recommended approach unless you really don't have access to the internet.

The recommended approach to solving this problem is to figure out why MP might think internet is unavailable and "fix" it.

To be sure, right click on the install package and select "run as..." then fill in the credentials to run the installer with the administrator account.

Okay. Has the laptop got multiple network connections like a wireless adapter *and* a wired adapter. If so, try disabling the one that is not connected to the internet before running the installer. To do this, go to control panel, select network connections, right click on an a connection that you want to disable and click disable. You can enable the connection again later with the same procedure except clicking enable instead of disable.

mm

This is an old laptop that has a built-in ethernet port and a USB wireless network adapter. Both owrk fine for accessing the internet. I have physically removed the usb adapter and am connected to the internet (well I must be because that's how I'm replying to the post). The usb adapter does not appear in the "network connections " page.

I downloaded the mediaportal package from the following page

MEDIAPORTAL - Download MediaPortal for free!

There is only one package and nothing that indicates a "download all packages and install offline" versus a "install over the network" option.

So I am online and clicking the downloaded package. The unzip/extraction of files occurs. Select language windows appears I select English/US (ugh!) . Click next. Option: start with installation and immediately I get the "No internet connection found" error pop up. Maybe (I suggest) there is an error in the mediaportal installation code that searches for an internet connection.

The same error message pops up when I try "only download required components".

The userid I am using in XP "User accounts" is identified as "Computer administrator" - so it should have the privileges you suggest above to attempt the install.

So I think I have tried your suggestions and not able to make progress with the installation of MP 1.2.1 on Windows XP.

Regards,

Clive Long

cubii

Portal Pro
    November 1, 2006
    AW: Unable to install MediaPortal 1.2.1 on Win XP SP3, .net 3.5 SP1

try to use install option "only download" on another pc with internet and then copy the temp folder on the laptop and install it

cliverlong

Portal Member
    October 7, 2011
    Home Country
    Re: AW: Unable to install MediaPortal 1.2.1 on Win XP SP3, .net 3.5 SP1

try to use install option "only download" on another pc with internet and then copy the temp folder on the laptop and install it
    Thank-you for the suggestion.

I can't see how that can work in my environment.

My other PC is Windows 7 (64 bit) and as in the title of this thread and in posts aove my target machine for the second installation is Windows XP.

As far as I can workout the "download" approach queries the machine on which it runs, identifies which packages are and are not on the download machine and selects appropriate package for that machine. Thise packages are not correct for the target Win XP machine.

Can someone explain why the detection of the internet connection by the installation program is not working on the Windows XP machine and what can be done to make it work? That would then get the standard installation process on the move.

Regards,

Clive Long

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Clive

Can someone explain why the detection of the internet connection by the installation program is not working on the Windows XP machine and what can be done to make it work? That would then get the standard installation process on the move.
    If I knew the answer to this question then I would have told you. It works fine for me, also on XP SP3. The installer is not my "specialty" but what I can suggest is try to manually install the DirectX package that this particular error is complaining about and see if you can get any further. The version you want is the June 2010 redistributable from -->here<--.

mm

[Edit: I've quickly looked at the code and it seems like the internet check is done simply by trying to access http://install.team-mediaportal.com/. Are you able to access that page in a browser? The code for the check is *very* simple - there is little that I can see that could go wrong unless you use a proxy server.]

cliverlong

Portal Member
    October 7, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi again Clive

If I knew the answer to this question then I would have told you. It works fine for me, also on XP SP3. The installer is not my "specialty" but what I can suggest is try to manually install the DirectX package that this particular error is complaining about and see if you can get any further. The version you want is the June 2010 redistributable from -->here<--.

mm

Hello,
    Thank you for your suggestions

I clicked on the redistributable link you provided and downloaded the file. This I selected and it prompted me to select a folder into which to unpack the files. I created a new (sub-)folder in my Downloads folder. As a result I now have 157 files with most of which are "cabinet files".

I have run the dxsetup.exe file that came with the other 156 files. The setup took quite some time to run and appeared to install many files.

I reran the mediaportal 1.2.1 installation package and the original problem has not changed. The installation process "calls" for an internet connection then fails. For completeness I have copied the latest failure messages at the end of this post.

[Edit: I've quickly looked at the code and it seems like the internet check is done simply by trying to access Homepage of install.team-mediaportal.com. Are you able to access that page in a browser? The code for the check is *very* simple - there is little that I can see that could go wrong unless you use a proxy server.]

I clicked on the link you provided and a simple "holding page" appeared. So my browser (and internet connection) can navigate to that page.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unrecognized configuration section system.serviceModel. (c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config line 134)
    at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSchemaErrors.ThrowIfErrors(Boolean ignoreLocal)
    at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfParseErrors(ConfigurationSchemaErrors schemaErrors)
    at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfInitErrors()
    at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.PrepareConfigSystem()
    at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)
    at System.Configuration.PrivilegedConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)
    at System.Net.Configuration.DefaultProxySectionInternal.GetSection()
    at System.Net.WebRequest.get_InternalDefaultWebProxy()
    at System.Net.WebClient.get_Proxy()
    at MediaPortal.DeployTool.HTTPDownload.DownloadFile(String url, String targetFile, String userAgentOs)
    at MediaPortal.DeployTool.HTTPDownload.ShowDialog(String url, String targetFile, String userAgentOs)
    at MediaPortal.DeployTool.Utils.GetDownloadString(String session_id, String node_id)
    at MediaPortal.DeployTool.InstallationChecks.DirectX9Checker..ctor()
    at MediaPortal.DeployTool.Sections.InstallDlg.PopulateListView()
    at MediaPortal.DeployTool.Sections.InstallDlg..ctor()
    at MediaPortal.DeployTool.DialogFlowHandler.GetDialogInstance(DialogType dlgType)
    at MediaPortal.DeployTool.Sections.BaseInstallationTypeDlg.GetNextDialog()
    at MediaPortal.DeployTool.DeployTool.nextButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3625 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    MediaPortal.DeployTool
    Assembly Version: 1.2.0.12710
    Win32 Version: 1.2.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Clive/LOCALS~1/Temp/MediaPortal%20Installation/MediaPortal.DeployTool.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3624 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
    System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Clive

Hmmm... :(
    You didn't mention whether you used a proxy server or not. Also, what kind of XP install is it - home or professional, 32 or 64 bit, retail or OEM or MSDNAA (or something else), full or customised (via nlite or similar), legitimate or illegitimate. You could try doing the offline installation, however I wonder whether you wouldn't continue to have problems even after MP is installed as MP TV functionality relies pretty heavily on networking related functionality and/or services.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom