"Unable to play" MP3 (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm getting that "unable to play" while trying to play music since I setup MediaPortal to launch on Windows start. Movies can play. Restarting MP fixes the issue. Delaying MP start by 30 seconds did not help. Apparently it's only an issue with the MP instance started on Windows start.

Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the pointer HomeY. I filled in my specs and provided logs. I got the log by running debug mode and exporting current logs just after reproducing the issue.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Code:
    2013-05-05 16:42:30.182311 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: BASS: Unable to create Stream for D:\Sounds\Steph\Abyssinians\Satta Massagana [Bonus Tracks]\01 Declaration of Rights.mp3.  Reason: BASS_ERROR_UNKNOWN.
    2013-05-05 16:42:30.185312 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: BASS: Unable to play D:\Sounds\Steph\Abyssinians\Satta Massagana [Bonus Tracks]\01 Declaration of Rights.mp3.  Reason: BASS_ERROR_HANDLE.
    2013-05-05 16:42:30.191312 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: PlaylistPlayer: *** unable to play - D:\Sounds\Steph\Abyssinians\Satta Massagana [Bonus Tracks]\01 Declaration of Rights.mp3 - skipping track!
    2013-05-05 16:42:30.197312 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: BASS: Unable to create Stream for D:\Sounds\Steph\Abyssinians\Satta Massagana [Bonus Tracks]\02 The Good Lord.mp3.  Reason: BASS_ERROR_UNKNOWN.
    2013-05-05 16:42:30.200312 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: BASS: Unable to play D:\Sounds\Steph\Abyssinians\Satta Massagana [Bonus Tracks]\02 The Good Lord.mp3.  Reason: BASS_ERROR_HANDLE.
    2013-05-05 16:42:30.205313 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: PlaylistPlayer: *** unable to play - D:\Sounds\Steph\Abyssinians\Satta Massagana [Bonus Tracks]\02 The Good Lord.mp3 - skipping track!
    And so on for the rest of the CD, so: BASS_ERROR_HANDLE.

So you only have this when you enable 'start MP with windows startup'?
    You say movies play, but music NEVER does? Also not after playing video first?

@hwahrmann or @jameson_uk any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So you only have this when you enable 'start MP with windows startup'?
    That's right. Restarting MP fixes the issue.
    You say movies play, but music NEVER does? Also not after playing video first?
    Playing movie first does not help playing music. I need to restart MP to fix it.[DOUBLEPOST=1367772933][/DOUBLEPOST]Switching to DirectShow player fixes the issue.
    Why would I otherwise choose one player over the other one?
    It might be worth noting that this system is equipped with an ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT PCIe.
    That's not showing in the specs I believe.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Why would I otherwise choose one player over the other one?
    It might be worth noting that this system is equipped with an ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT PCIe.
    That's not showing in the specs I believe.
    They work in different ways so this does suggest it is a BASS issue.
    Xonar cards tend to have horrible drivers (I had one for quite a while :eek:) but the fact it works via directshow is odd.
    The logs appear to only be at info level. Could you get some logs at debug level which may contain some more info. Are you using the soundcard for anything else ? (eg. MPAR for videos or ASIO / WASAPI somewhere?)

If you do a clean boot and open MP this does not work and you need to close and open MP for MP3 playback to work?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Are you using the soundcard for anything else ? (eg. MPAR for videos or ASIO / WASAPI somewhere?)
    Not sure what you mean. I'm certainly not familiar with those acronyms o_O I'm only using that one sound card for audio on the system.

How do I get debug level logs? I could not use the Debug mode to start MP since the problem only reproduces when MP auto starts.

If I do a clean boot and MP is set to auto start I need to close and open MP for MP3 playback to work.

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    same error here, BASS_ERROR_HANDLE happens to at seast every-second MP3. (fomr smb share)
    A solution yet ? - I prefer BASS engine because it's the only one to work with "Rockstar" plugin (spotify)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom