Windows Version: win7 pro
CPU Type: Intel
HDD: WDD
Memory: 4GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Video Card: ATI
Video Card Driver: ATI

Hi,

Let me start out by saying that I am a software developer, but am new to the video/codec world. I am running on a fresh Win7 install with only the codecs installed by Windows and MediaPortal (if any). I have no TV card installed. I have MediaPortal and VirtualClone installed. My problem is that MP4's and ISO's will not play. I've tried WMV and it plays fine. My phone makes video in MP4 format though. I had installed QuickTime with the DirectShow??? filter (or whatever was suggested in the wiki).... would not play MP4 or ISO. I then uninstalled those and installed the InstaCodecs (also suggested on the wiki site)... those did not work either for either file type. I've also tried to change the codecs in the MediaPortal configuration dropdowns from the MPC-xxx ones to the Microsoft ones in the "Video Codecs" and the "DVD Discs" tabs. That didn't work either. At this point I have NO CLUE due to my inexperience with how video/codecs are used in MediaPortal or in general.

Strange thing is that my MP4 videos DO play in MediaPlayer AND Quicktime (when it was installed). VirtualClone did allow the ISO to display under MediaPortal's videos, but it just chirps at me when I try to play it (no error message). MediaPortal does actually give me an error when I try to play MP4's though...

Codec: 20
AAC Version 4 LC

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    As far as codecs go, if only intending to use MP for playback then SAF6 is a good option, if you want full windows integration, then the Vista codec pack by shark007 is the most stable\safe that I know of, get the Win7 version.

Both have tools for checking problematic video files.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Best way: don't install codec packs on win 7, use Windows Codecs (set MP to use them in config). Install Haali Splitter if needed.

And for support: please post your logs - if MP does not throw an error, it will log one. Please use Debug mode for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom