"Unable to play Stream ..." on client computer. No idea how to fix. (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi there,

Sorry to pick up this old thread again. I have just noticed that for some reason, my MP account stopped notifying me (a long time ago) when people have been replying to me, so I have a few threads that have gone cold. I have been commenting on other people's threads in relation to this issue and getting various suggestions for which I am really grateful but until now, nothing has sorted this problem.

In an attempt to bring everything together (and to avoid making things too complicated), I though I would stick only to discussing this issue on this page.

Just to confirm my problem:

I have a central PC that is running a stand alone MP installation. This PC is connected to a switch that is connected to two other MP clients. A wireless router is connected to the switch and I use a laptop wirelessly as a third MP client.

I let my server go to sleep whenever it is not being used and turn off the router and switch whenever I leave the house.

I have found that whenever I get the problem on my client "cannot play stream 3.0" on one client, it is the same on all clients and the only way to remedy this is to restart the server.

However, once things are working, they seem to be fine until I turn off my switch.

I have gradully tried everything I can to try and sort this problem, but i just cannot seem to make it go away, including:

Disabling IPV6
Disabling all Virus Programs and Firewalls
Messing around with the TV Server settings (which then made the standalone MP installation mess up)

I think that I have now narrowed my problem down to the switch itself. What appears to be happening is that when I reset my server with the switch turned on, it automatically assigns the server a new address and then assigns each client its own new address so they can all communicate. No problems here.

However, what may then happen, once the server has gone to sleep, is that I then turn of the switch, leave it for a few hours, when I turn the switch back on and wake up the server, the switch gives it a new IP address from the one originally given but the server is still operating with its prior IP address, so the client's are blocked from communicating with it.

I am a real novice when it comes to networking, but is this potentially what my problem is?

The switch is unmanaged, so I am not sure how I can get around this problem other than leave it on all the time, which I do not really want to do.

Your further help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Alex

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
One other thing I would add. I do remember reading something about a loopback plugin that should be installed on standalone installations that could help with this problem. I never really understood, however, what to do with this.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    hi Alex

The only way that I can see, is to leave your router\switch powered up, under the circumstances of you having other clients trying to connect to the server, the the MSLoopback adapter cannot be used.

Just to say, the power consumption of my router is 5watts, so running cost for the whole year will be under £5, is the hassle really worth it.

Regards

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi Ray,

That is a very good point. If the cost of leaving it on is negligible, the best solution would be just to leave it. I am slightly worried about leaving potential fire hazards on but I suppose I leave the HTPC in sleep mode when it is not being used and my fridge freezer is on all the time.

I am surprised that there are not more people with this same problem, but I guess that is because they are just leaving their switches on.

Thanks very much for the advice.

Alex

benoit77

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2008
    Doue
    Home Country
    France France
    hello, i'm french, and i have this problem too. "unable to play stream ..." but fee days ago i haven't this problem. how can i resolved that?

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Bonjour Benoit77,

This seems (at least to me ) to be a hardware problem.

What hardware are you using and how is it all connected? Pour example, do you have just one pc running mediaportal client and server or do you also have other pcs running as just clients.? Also how are your computers connected? Wireless or via ethernet or a combination of both?

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The unable to play stream is a very generic message that can have any of a million different reasons. So benoit77, it would be best to log a Support thread along with your info (System specs) and some logs as per link in my footer. It is impossible to help without the needed info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom