unable to play: stream2.0 (1 Viewer)

owner66

January 26, 2012
Started tv server machine with switch turned off, so no link on LAN card.
When server starts up and the network card does not have a link, this error occurs.
Solution was to restart TV server service with LAN active.

MediaPortal Version:
MediaPortal Skin:
Windows Version:
CPU Type:
HDD:
Memory:
Motherboard:
Video Card:
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

mrkaras

Portal Pro
December 9, 2006
Home Country
I think I may have just had the same thing. I just rebooted (because I tried to watch TV and it froze again) then after the reboot the first time I tried to watch TV I got a could not play stream message, I would have thouth it would have all been OK by then but maybe DCHP and all that hadn't sorted its self out properly yet. I think the issue is in the way MP is build - the server send the TV accross the network to the client even on a single pc setup, unless its changed a MP PC needs a network connection of some sort to work at all, and ther is a loopback virtual NIC that can be installed if needed (though that probably wouldn't help your problem).

have you checked that trying to watch TV a few times without restarting the TV service doesn't work? I've often found its nessesery to try turning TV on a few times to fix the and the apparent no signal problems (if it says no signal, turn it on again and it oftern works without an issue, but thats not your problem (today) either)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This is unfortunately a design limitation in MP that is too deep routed.

The work around is to add a loopback adaptor which will make MP work whilst there is no LAN connection

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    possably setting your IP to a static address may make it work faster. would installing the "microsoft loopback adaptor" still work even though the PC sometimes has another network connection? I'd give it a go anyway owner66

owner66

January 26, 2012
    So the tv service just needs to see ANY NIC with a link? Alot of services want to bind to a specific IP, just wondering if tv service can use 'any ip'?
    I have setup a loopback adapter, but did not get a chance to try it last night.
    I plan on setting a static IP address for it.
    I will report on how it goes.
    The reason that this is a concern is that I have my tv server plugged into a gigabit uplink on a POE switch that is connected to all the LAN cables in the house. It powers devices like wireless access point etc.
    At night, i like to leave the tv server on (to record tv) and to turn off the POE switch to save electricity.

owner66

January 26, 2012
    Other than the 2.0 error, does the server function normally, such as you can ping it from another computer, browse shares, etc?
    Another thing to check, you may want to force half-duplex on the switch and computer NIC.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

I have never tried to ping the server - how would I go about trying this?
    Ultimately, there is never any problem browisng or playing shared files from the client PCs outside mediaportal.

Forcing half-duplex - that sounds like something that might be worth trying. What does this entail? I did try and find whether I have a tinker with my switch but cannot find out to do this - I was assuming that like a router, you would just type an IP Address in a browser and you would get access the switch settings. Does it make a difference that the switch is unmanaged?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom