Unable to play various video files (1 Viewer)

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is in the correct part of the forum, but here goes.

I have recently copied over a lot of video files due to a MFT failure - the files were recovered using data recovery software. I now have over 300 movie files of different formats (.ts, .mkv, .avi, .mpg) that will no longer play. I have tried various players and none will play them. The files load into the player, but then the player freezes as it tries to play. The file sizes seem fine, and all have their correct file extensions.

Clearly something has gone wrong, and I would like to repair the files if possible. Does anybody know if this is possible, and how would I do it?

Many thanks in advance.

M.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi porky996t

Sorry to hear about the problems. Have you tried examining the files with MediaInfo? TS files could possibly be checked to make sure their structure is well-formed using TS Doctor or similar (we have a free TS checker called TsPacketChecker -->here<--). The internal CRCs may even tell you which packets (if any) are corrupted). Not so sure about other file types...

mm

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi mm,

Thanks for that. I'll give them a go and see what happens. From the research I have been doing this is quite a common occurence after using data recover software, is is something to do with the information header which tells the codec what the file is.

I'll report back.

EDIT: Ok, I have checked various things, and eventually went into the TS Packet editor of Cypheros TS-Doctor. There is nothing at all contained in the file. All the Hex columns in the editor are shown as '00's. So, in essence, it is an empty container. :(

On the positive side, the Movies disc did need cleaning up!

Thanks,

M

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    EDIT: Ok, I have checked various things, and eventually went into the TS Packet editor of Cypheros TS-Doctor. There is nothing at all contained in the file. All the Hex columns in the editor are shown as '00's. So, in essence, it is an empty container. :(
    :(
    Really sorry to hear that. I hope you didn't lose anything that was too important.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom