UniMenu, One Button for all Menus (1 Viewer)

What do you think of the UniMenu?

• Great idea!

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Stupid idea!

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Hmm... I would like to test it.

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Atramhasis

Portal Member
March 31, 2007
I have an idea about how the menu system works. Most skins have menus on the side of the screen, sometimes visible sometimes not. I have some problems with it.
1. If it is visible, it's too much clutter on the screen. Only content should be visible for simplicity.
2. If it's not visible, you can't access it constant; sometimes it's left, sometime up,... sometime you need to go through many clicks (e.g. pictures or other icon walls).
4. Closing menus is sometimes "Left"/"Right", sometimes "Back" button

Of course I can use it, but many people are confused and I wish it would be easier.
My idea is:
1. Only content visible, no menus.
2. Menu always available with one click of a "Menu" button ("i")

Since the menu button (e.g. "i" on the Microsoft remote) is sometimes responsible for the context menu, both menus could be displayed and the main menu would be accessed with one additional left click.

Question: Is there someone who could build this menu system with the Maya skin as a mod (other skins are OK, too, but I like Maya)? I never did skinning but if nobody will do it, I will have to try it to see if my idea works well.

Some Rules:
  1. It would be nice to have the unselected menu dimmed.
  2. If there is context menu, it is selected (highlighted) first.
  3. If there is no context menu, main menu is selected but stays in the same position (in Maya always left for constancy and it's also better to see changes when switching views).
  4. To close the Menu always use the "Menu" ("i") or "Back" button (no more "Left"/"Right").

And here is a mock up:
attachment.php

Attachments

• UniMenu.jpg
    UniMenu.jpg
    51.7 KB
J

joostzilla

I must admit its sometimes annoying to move to the left multiple times before accessing the hidden menu in thumbviews. And moving up in filmstrip could also be confusing. Unfortunately there is no other way. The suggestion you make makes the screen more cluttered and less logical. In Maya only the relevant menus pop-up. And they do appear in the center of the screen for consistent use. Using the 'i' button is not an option. This button acts as the right mouse button to acces extra options.

So again i understand your problem but i believe your idea is not the right solution. But thanks for wanting to improve the experience of MP. :D

Atramhasis

Portal Member
March 31, 2007
... annoying ... confusing. Unfortunately there is no other way.
Really? I believe in progress and improvement. ;)

The suggestion you make makes the screen more cluttered and less logical.
Yes, there is more to see, but if one menu is dimmed you can concentrate on the other easily. In fact you can remove the arrow on the side in the main screens, which is a cleaner look. And I think it's logical: Normally you see only content, when you want to do something special you press a menu button and look what your possibilities are, you see them all at once and don't have to try two (or more) different menus. Right now there are some identical functions on both menus.
Using the 'i' button is not an option. This button acts as the right mouse button to access extra options.
"i" is the quasi Menu button, most people see it this way especially because WMC uses it in a similar way. IMHO right mouse button is nothing for a media center software.

...thanks for wanting to improve the experience of MP. :D
Thank you for your answer. As I said, I think it is possible to improve the user experience. I don't say my first solution is the best, I just want to try it and then maybe move on. I see one more possibility:
There could be two buttons, one for context menu (e.g. "i") and one for main menu (e.g. "DVD Menu" or other rarely used one). This would eliminate the annoying looking for the menu arrow and would leave separate menus. Disadvantage would be:
a) two buttons are used and must be reconfigured
b) users have to know which menu has which functions.
Is it possible to do this (assign a button to the main menu) already with the current version?

OK, so if I would try to do it on my own, how much work is it? Will I have to change just some files in the skin or even some sore files in MediaPortal?

J

joostzilla

... annoying ... confusing. Unfortunately there is no other way.
Really? I believe in progress and improvement. ;)

The suggestion you make makes the screen more cluttered and less logical.
Yes, there is more to see, but if one menu is dimmed you can concentrate on the other easily. In fact you can remove the arrow on the side in the main screens, which is a cleaner look. And I think it's logical: Normally you see only content, when you want to do something special you press a menu button and look what your possibilities are, you see them all at once and don't have to try two (or more) different menus. Right now there are some identical functions on both menus.
Using the 'i' button is not an option. This button acts as the right mouse button to access extra options.
"i" is the quasi Menu button, most people see it this way especially because WMC uses it in a similar way. IMHO right mouse button is nothing for a media center software.

...thanks for wanting to improve the experience of MP. :D
Thank you for your answer. As I said, I think it is possible to improve the user experience. I don't say my first solution is the best, I just want to try it and then maybe move on. I see one more possibility:
There could be two buttons, one for context menu (e.g. "i") and one for main menu (e.g. "DVD Menu" or other rarely used one). This would eliminate the annoying looking for the menu arrow and would leave separate menus. Disadvantage would be:
a) two buttons are used and must be reconfigured
b) users have to know which menu has which functions.
Is it possible to do this (assign a button to the main menu) already with the current version?

OK, so if I would try to do it on my own, how much work is it? Will I have to change just some files in the skin or even some sore files in MediaPortal?

Lol. I am very for improvement too. But i dont have a better solution ready. Yet!
About the right mouse button: I said it 'acts' like a right mouse button (just like the 'i' button). It invokes extra features, info, options or menus. So using the 'i' button for something else seems not right to me.

Your two button proposal sounds logical but could invoke new problems:
- you have to take your finger from the d-pad to navigate for the 'i' and/or 'menu' button. In the current situation you can use the d-pad for almost all selections.
- Hard labeled buttons are not very user friendly when reconfigured. (a logitech harmony could be helpfull)
- There should also be a button for returning to the basichome screen (on the harmony its the menu button that acts like the greenbutton)

If you really want the user experience to be better than i suggest you post in the MP2 forum. Perhaps it will be picked for the skinning contest.

nfox

Portal Pro
August 22, 2006
London
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm not sure about the exact details, but I think that a specific button on the remote to bring up the "side menu" is exactly what's needed. Pressing left, or right, or up, (or down?) is a right pain in the ar$e, especially when it changes from screen to screen, or you have a load of icons to traverse before it works.

Which button is used probably depends on the remote you are using (I have a Harmony 555, so have a lot of flexibility as to which buttons do what, others will be more restricted of course), but the ability to make it happen would be fantastic. It would fix my number one MP navigation gripe.

J

joostzilla

I'm not sure about the exact details, but I think that a specific button on the remote to bring up the "side menu" is exactly what's needed. Pressing left, or right, or up, (or down?) is a right pain in the ar$e, especially when it changes from screen to screen, or you have a load of icons to traverse before it works.

Which button is used probably depends on the remote you are using (I have a Harmony 555, so have a lot of flexibility as to which buttons do what, others will be more restricted of course), but the ability to make it happen would be fantastic. It would fix my number one MP navigation gripe.

As long as all users dont own the same remote its not wise to change the way menus act. Yes we can and should experiment with different approaches but really big changes should concern MP not just the skin.

So unless Team MP makes a great deal with Logitech to supply all mp users with a nice Harmony remote at a reduced price we should stick with the current situation. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom