Uninstalling and Program/channel not found (1 Viewer)

Richard Hole

Portal Pro
March 27, 2009
Home Country
Hi

Mediaportal has been working but has had some problems with error messages that prevents it from starting at times. Sometimes rebooting the computer fixes them. This has not helped with the latest error which is "Program/channel not found" . I did a complete uninstall and cleanup and reinstall but the same problem occurs. I also notice the uninstall and clean up does not remove the channels that I scanned in the EPG and when I reinstalled and opened Mediaportal, it still gave the suggested program according to the TV guide before I scanned anything. So perhaps it is not completely uninstalling and I am wondering if I should delete anything else as well after I uninstall to remove any problem files.

My log is attached. There appears to be a few log files and I am not sure which one you want or if you need all of them. I have run out of space on C drive in the past. I am using version 1.2.3.0 as I prefer that to the newer one and am using Windows 7.

Regards Richard.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Richard, do you use Avast anti-virus software?

Richard Hole

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi

No I use AVG antivirus and also Malwarebytes.

Could a anti-virus software cause these problems?

Regards Richard.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Could a anti-virus software cause these problems?
    Yes.
    I asked you about Avast because we've had a handful of reports from people in the last week saying that they could no longer view live TV or recordings, and it turned out that the cause for all of them was Avast. You could check whether [temporarily] stopping, disabling or uninstalling AVG and/or Malwarebytes solves your problem.

It's difficult to offer further assistance due to your choice to use such an ancient version of MP. About all I can say is that TV Server won't just stop working for no reason. There's always a cause. You could investigate whether changes and updates that occurred at the time the error started (eg. a Windows update) caused TV Server to stop working.

Good luck.

Richard Hole

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi

How do I investigate what changes and updates occurred at the time the error started? Can these changes be undone and is it common for Windows updates to cause a problem?

I used Malwarebytes and AVG for some time and Mediaportal works with it. I cannot work out how to disable AVG and Malwarebytes. I listed the instructions I read below for them and wrote what option I could not find at the end in UPPER CASE.

Instructions to disable AVG suggest

Right-click the AVG icon in the system tray next to the clock.
    Click Temporarily disable AVG protection.

THERE IS NO OPTION TO DISABLE IT THERE.

or

Open the AVG Program.
    On the Options menu, click Advanced settings.
    Select Temporarily disable AVG protection in the menu on the left side.
    Click the Temporarily disable AVG protection button.

THERE IS NO ADVANCED SETTINGS OR OPTION TO DISABLE AVG PROTECTION

I read some instructions how to disable Malware bytes below.

1. Hover your mouse pointer over the "M" icon in the bottom-right corner of the task bar. If you don't see the icon, click on the "Show Hidden Icons" arrow.

2. Right-click on the "M" icon.

3. Un-check "Enable Protection," and then click "Yes" at the prompt to confirm.

THERE IS NO OPTION TO "UN-CHECK "ENABLE PROTECTION"

Regards Richard.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Richard

In general I'm not able to answer your questions. You'll need to spend a bit of time learning about Windows and the software you've chosen to use on your system.

How do I investigate what changes and updates occurred at the time the error started?
    You could start by checking the Windows application and system event log files. Those log files will tell you about changes to Windows. Beyond that you'll have to carry out your own investigations as I have no idea what other software you have on your system.

Can these changes be undone...?
    That would entirely depend on the change.

...and is it common for Windows updates to cause a problem?
    I wouldn't say it's common but it does happen.

I used Malwarebytes and AVG for some time and Mediaportal works with it.
    Sure... but most security software like AVG and Malwarebytes automatically install updates in order to protect you from new viruses and security threats (...because apparently new viruses are being created all the time). In other words: they (AVG and Malwarebytes) are changing all the time. Therefore there's no guarantee of ongoing trouble-free operation. Who knows, an automatic update may cause AVG and/or Malwarebytes to mistakenly treat MediaPortal as a security risk. That's exactly what happened in the last week with Avast.

I cannot work out how to disable AVG and Malwarebytes.
    Richard, this is a forum for getting help with MediaPortal. It's not the right place to ask questions about AVG or Malwarebytes. It's not that I don't want to help you. Rather, I simply don't know the answers. Last time I used AVG was more than 15 years ago and I've never used Malwarebytes. Please use Internet search engines and/or the forums for the corresponding companies/products (ie. AVG and Malwarebytes) to ask and get answers to those questions.

Regards,
    mm

Richard Hole

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi

Thanks for the suggestions. I also wonder if the problems may be caused my MediaPortal not uninstalling cleanly for me.

When I did the MediaPortal uninstall and clean up, it does not remove the channels that I scanned in the EPG and when I reinstalled and opened Mediaportal, it still gave the suggested program according to the TV guide before I scanned anything. So perhaps it is not completely uninstalling and I am wondering if this is normal or I should delete anything else as well after I uninstall to remove any problem files.

Regards Richard.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    When I did the MediaPortal uninstall and clean up, it does not remove the channels that I scanned in the EPG and when I reinstalled and opened Mediaportal, it still gave the suggested program according to the TV guide before I scanned anything.
    That's 100% normal.
    If you want to get rid of the channels you have several options:
    • delete them through TV Server Configuration -> TV Channels and TV Server Configuration -> Radio Channels, OR...
    • when you uninstall, also uninstall your database engine (ie. MySQL or SQL Server)

Richard Hole

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi

Would there be any advantage in also uninstalling the database engine and TV channels or is it unlikely that would clean up any problems with the previous installment of MediaPortal?

Regards Richard.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Would there be any advantage in also uninstalling the database engine and TV channels or is it unlikely that would clean up any problems with the previous installment of MediaPortal?
    Let me put it this way: I don't think your problem has been caused by a previous installment of MediaPortal. Therefore I think uninstalling the database engine would be pointless. However what you choose to do is up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom