United States ATSC EPG support in MP2? (1 Viewer)

Concept211

August 22, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Are there any plans for providing ATSC episode guide support in the final release of MediaPortal 2?

I was so excited to switch from Windows Media Center over to MP1, but hit a dead end when no guide info was found even when using the Web EPG plugin.

I have to figure that if Windows Media Center can easily download 2 weeks worth of ATSC guide data automatically, so can MP1/2. Is there maybe a plugin that's not well known that gives us American users the data we need??

Thanks!

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    MS provides it own EPG resource to it's media center software (big multimillion dollar corporate operation), The US is locked out, pretty much, for free EPG to MediaPortal (open source with minimal financial resources). There are a couple independent efforts to scrape EPG from the web, and one paid service ($25 year) using the SchedulesDirect plug-in. The European broadcasting formats provide a more user friendly EPG solution, whereas the US still hasn't settled on a standard. Some EPG can be gotten from the digital channel format but is provided only for a couple days of schedule. Do a search for US EPG plugins and resources ... nothing fits everyone's scheme. I've been using Schedules Direct for about 5 years and am quite satisfied with it.

Concept211

August 22, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks for the prompt response, 2BitSculptor! I tried looking on their site but I couldn't find info on how far ahead the schedules are? Is it a few days or a couple of weeks? How accurate are they? I've noticed that even with WMC, sometimes shows are not labeled as repeats and will record over again. Do you also know of any plugins for US/ATSC network logos for the guide?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks again!

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    I can get 14 days of EPG with SchedulesDirect.

Accuracy is subjective. I believe it is more a problem with network reporting than with Schedules Direct ( and also the same for MS). I've noticed only a few holes in the schedule, and yes, some programs frequently appear without any New/First Shown information.

I don't use the network logos (I still don't know how to set them up) as they would require finding/grabbing the logos from the local broadcast market (TV Guide site?) then fixing/naming and putting in the correct folder (not automated) ... well I haven't really investigated it because it is a low priority for me.

corporate_gadfly

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I can get 14 days of EPG with SchedulesDirect.

Accuracy is subjective. I believe it is more a problem with network reporting than with Schedules Direct ( and also the same for MS). I've noticed only a few holes in the schedule, and yes, some programs frequently appear without any New/First Shown information.
    To the OP, here's a vote for free scraping from tvguide.com using WebGrab+Plus. I find it roughly equivalent to the SD subscription EPG.

To my knowledge, the ATSC EPG is not very good and is only 1 or 2 days in advance (I could be wrong).
    I don't use the network logos (I still don't know how to set them up) as they would require finding/grabbing the logos from the local broadcast market (TV Guide site?) then fixing/naming and putting in the correct folder (not automated) ... well I haven't really investigated it because it is a low priority for me.
    Channels don't change on a daily basis, so in my mind, this is a 1-time activity. I use 4TR and logos go in c:\Program Files\For The Record\Services\Channel Logos. There should be a similar path for TV Server. Use LyngSat Logo for all the network logos that you want.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    when I setup EPG Collector to grab the ATSC OTA EPG my SF Bay area stations, most stations provided 12 hours of EPG info, a couple provided 1 or 2 days.

eggmoe

Portal Member
    August 5, 2015
    Home Country
    I'm guessing the mc2xml works because I see xmltv as a default plugin in MP2, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if MP-SchedulesDirect will work with SlimTV in MP2? I really like MP-SchedulesDirect as my primary EPG grabber so hoping that it will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom