Unstable fresh install. Possible DB issue? (1 Viewer)

shaunpatrick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 27, 2007
    Home Country
    MediaPortal Version: 1.2.2
    MediaPortal Skin: default
    Windows Version: Vista SP2
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon X2 260
    HDD: WD
    Memory: 2gig
    Motherboard: Asrock N68 VS3
    Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 210
    Video Card Driver: 285.62
    Sound Card: VIA HD on board
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver: 7.7.00.33
    1. TV Card: Kworld PC 160 - 2T
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    1. TV Card Driver: 9.603.1
    MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink PDVD10
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC
    Power Supply:
    Remote: MCE
    TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

Hi. I'm struggling to get a stable install. This was a completely clean install, no plugins apart from power scheduler.
    All appeared to run fine, so I scheduled some recordings over night. It seemed to wake up ok, but when I tried to start TV it become sluggish and I couldn't tune tv. There appeared to be no recording present.
    When I restarted MP (client only) all of a sudden I could tune TV and the recording where there.
    There looks to be a lot of DB access errors in the log.
    The only thing I did after installing MP was to turn off UAC, but I cant see how this would hurt anything.
    Any ideas?
    Many thanks.:D

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

Yes, I think your assessment of DB access errors is absolutely on the money. The IP address that MP was trying to use is:

2012-01-08 09:41:30.440743 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: OnMessage exception:confused:ystem.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host 192.168.1.102:31456

Server stack trace:
    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(IPAddress[] addresses, Int32 port)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.RemoteConnection.CreateNewSocket(AddressFamily family)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.RemoteConnection.CreateNewSocket()
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.RemoteConnection.GetSocket()
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketCache.GetSocket(String machinePortAndSid, Boolean openNew)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientTransportSink.SendRequestWithRetry(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
    at TvControl.IController.DeleteInvalidRecordings()
    at TvPlugin.TvRecorded.OnPageLoad()
    at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIWindow.OnMessage(GUIMessage message)

According to your system event logs your network adapter was assigned a new IP address just after midnight:

"8/01/2012 12:07:33 AM";"Dhcp";"(0)";"Information";"Your computer was successfully assigned an address from the network, and it can now connect to other computers.";"2163147855"

That can cause problems for both MP and TV Server. I advise you to use a static IP address.

mm

shaunpatrick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Really? So a static IP is the way to go even for a single standalone installation?

Supplementary question, if I assign a static IP and need to change it at some point, will just a reboot be ok to keep the DB happy or is there something else I would need to do to not to break the link? (for a standalone)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

Yes, even for a standalone setup. The thing about TV Server is that it is very dependent on a stable network connection. It accesses the DB, communicates with the client, hosts the streaming server... all of those are critical parts of MP/TV Server and they all depend on the network connection. If you want long term stability (which most people do) then a static IP address really is the way to go. Yes a reboot would be fine if you wanted/needed to change the IP address at any point, but I wouldn't imagine that would be something you'd need to do frequently (???).

mm
    [Edit: when I say "communicates with the client", that applies to both standalone and multiseat installations - *both* communicate via networking.]

shaunpatrick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks so much for the info :) That really is a nasty trap for the unwary. Is a static IP in the list of system requirements? As I think it might catch a lot of people out and cause MP to appear less stable than it actually is. Maybe a popup warning like the one if Aero is off at the end of setup could help keep the support requests down. Just a thought.

Anyhoo very happy to have nailed that issue, along with a local community TV channel that has corrupt EPG data and kept crashing the TV service (Briz31 for any Queenslander's out there) Don't suppose there is any work on bullet proofing the DVB-T EPG from bad data?

Thanks again! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom