Unstable TV server (2 Viewers)

fatt_fill

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all,

Having rebuilt my server / clients I decided about a week ago to try MP2 having use MP1 (+FTR/Argus) for many years, therefore I'm new to alot of this. I'm having some issues with the TV server side of things and the server seems to die (tray icon goes to red and requires me to "Start service". I have since changed the service in "services.msc" to autostart upon failure but I'm keen to resolve so that the back-end is rock solid as it was with MP1. Attached are my server logs in case that gives any clues. I have a "server" running both server + client, and a couple of other dedicated clients. The logs attached are from the "server" running both server/client components (single seat effectively)

With thanks,
    Phil

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    As to your logs your NAS (//Server) is not stable while MP2 tries to import your pictures from that server.
    [2016-07-10 02:00:15,044] [30493041] [288 ] [INFO ] - ImageMetadataExtractor: Exception reading resource '{03dd2da6-4da8-4d3e-9e55-80e3165729a3}:////SERVER/Pictures/Devon 2015/100_0913.JPG' (Text: 'The remote server returned an error: (429) Too Many Requests.')
    There are lots of those errors.
    I would suggest to remove your pictures share from MP2 as the import never finished due to those NAS issues. Then test, if all went well. If yes you need to fix your NAS or split your image sources into parts. If no, we need to investigate further.

fatt_fill

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks Lehmden

The pictures are all a local share on //server rather than on some sort of external NAS, but there are alot of pictures and videos in that folder so I'm not sure whether it's having trouble accessing the data, or just overwhelmed by the amount of it "Too Many Requests" in the error message. Does that appear to be what is causing the crash from what you can see? I get about one crash every 24hrs. I've increased my logging levels now and will report back after the next crash to see if there is anything helpful in those new logs, with timings for when the crash happened.

Phil

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi
    The pictures are all a local share on //server rather than on some sort of external NAS
    Then you better use local filesystem provider (aka Drive Letter) for adding the shares. Did not make that much network traffic. Opposite to MP1 this has no drawbacks in MP2 as all files are delivered through the MP2 server who is responsible for access. So if files are local from the server pov then you don't need to use UNC path at all.....

Does that appear to be what is causing the crash from what you can see?
    It's the only unusual thing that is going on.

I get about one crash every 24hrs.
    If the crash happens regularly one time a day, I'm pretty sure this is due to the "nightly" refresh of the shares.

fatt_fill

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2008
    Home Country
    Since changing to local shares I've not had a crash.... seems like your theory was sound - thanks for that. I have a server built in single seat mode and then a number of dedicated clients and it was on one of these clients that I configured the media sources, thus used the network locations of the data, but as this config is common to all clients, it makes sense to configure locally. It's still a bit of mystery to me as to what client config is "centralised" and thus common to all clients, and what varies per client, but I'm getting there.

Thanks again for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom