Tools and other software [Update 1-Jan-2012] Utility - MediaPortal DataBase Archiver (1 Viewer)

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Current Version: MPdBArchiver 1.30

Change Log:

Ver: 1.30 (1-Jan-2012)
    - Added support for 3rd HTPC
    - UNC path support
    - Automatic XML file update from previous versions for new config options.

Ver: 1.25 (9-Dec-2011)
    - Added Menu options to delete files older than 30 or 60 days from archive folder - Clean Archive Folder.
    (Files are deleted to Recycle Bin for the occasional OOPS! moment.)
    - Added configuration option to change Console Window pause time - Console Wait Time (in seconds).
    - Automatic XML file update from previous version for new config options.

Ver: 1.21 (6-Dec-2011)
    - Fixed hard coded file names for back-up.

Ver 1.20 (30-Nov-2011)
    - Innitial release.

================================

After a crash of my TV-Series database, and manually restoring a week old back-up file, I thought there must be an easier way of doing this. So I decided to write some lines of code for a simple to use utility that allows backing-up MediaPortal databases, and selective restoring of databases.

I wrote this to make life easy when it comes to backing-up and restoring MediaPortal databases. It may be handy for other people, that’s why I’m sharing this. Use at your own risk, make sure you manually back up your databases before you start, just to keep Murphy's Law out of the door. It works very well on my pc, so I hope you will have the same experience. There will be a future update that will give you the option to clean/empty your back-up folder based on user selected criteria.

The GUI is big and the program is simple, just moves and copies data between folderA and folderB, no deleting or manipulation of databases involved. Don't need to be a rocket scientist to use this.

If for some silly reason I left something hard coded that should be configurable (since in my first version everything was hard coded) then let me know, and who knows i may fix it.

MPdBArchiver is fully configurable. On first launch it will run the default settings which can be changed and saved to your personal preference. (Menu - Configuration) The configuration data is stored in MPdBArchiverConfig.xml which will be created in the same folder as the executable is located in.

MPdBArchiver can run in single HTPC or dual HTPC mode. Leaving the "name" and "path" for “computer 2” blank in the configuration window will switch the program to single HTPC mode.

MPdBArchiver will show a blue console window informing you of what it is doing. This window will close 6 seconds after completion of the required action.

MPdBArchiver has a command line parameter autorun which can be used to run the program silent in combination with a scheduled task.

MPdBArchiver will create a “\Backup “ sub-folder in the MediaPortal database folder and create the back-up files in this folder. Each back-up file is given a new file extension which consist of YYYYMMDD (year, month, day). The new extension is used to select files for restoring based on predefined time frames.

You have to share (read/write) the " C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal " folder on the second HTPC , to be able to use the dual or triple computer mode and restore databases between the computers,

Have fun.

Attachments

• MPdBArchiver_1.25.zip
      174.1 KB
    • MPdBArchiver - 1.30.zip
      175.1 KB

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    Re: UPDATE: New Utility - MediaPortal DataBase Archiver

:oops::sorry:

Discovered that the Back-up part still had the databases hardcoded, new version attached that takes database names for both back-up and restore from the user configuration.

New file attached to first post.

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    Re: UPDATE: New Utility - MediaPortal DataBase Archiver

Added some features, see first post.
    New file attched to first post.

guytpetj