Updating from 1.8 to 1.9 failed - "Invalid file handle 32" - dead system (1 Viewer)

StarWup

Portal Pro
April 7, 2011
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi guys,

the upgrade from 1.8 to 1.9 on my Win 8.1 x64 machine failed. Got the "Invalid file handle 32" error while installing MySQL v5.6. I don't remember if I selected MySQL v5.6 in the selection list for update or not - however the installer downloaded and ran the update setup for MySQL. By the way: I noticed that my MySQL already was v5.6. (from a earlier update to MP 1.8, I assume.). The installer threw up the "Invalid file handle 32" error (and did not or not fully install MySQL). After that the MP installer seemed to install the remaining components (MP 1.9 itself, TV Service 1.9, TV Client 1.9) but was ready in 5 seconds and did not update anything. After that MySQL was dead and so was MP, of course.
From a Windows point of view the MySQL service didn't start anymore and wrote error 1067 to the event log.
Since I know the admin user and the password I tried to repair the MySQL installation manually (there's missing something like "reinstall MySQL" from the MP installer menu).
It turned out that this is a huge task. The native MySQL v5.6 installer wasn't able to complete the configuration for the DB server and threw up the "Invalid file handle 32" error, too. After that he caused a exception and was ended. Next step would have been to completly remove the MySQL application folder and reinstall MySQL from the scratch. But instead of diving deeper into the MySQL documentation I decided to restore Windows 8.1 to a previous working system restore point. If that doesn't help I'll do a complete image restore from a backup.
And I'm sorry but no, I will not upload log files since the Invalid file handle 32 error is known at least since MP v1.8 and the bug fix (to copy the font to the installer dir) does not seem to make any change and was more a guess than a verified solution.

Regards,
Sven

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Sven

And I'm sorry but no, I will not upload log files since the Invalid file handle 32 error is known at least since MP v1.8 and the bug fix (to copy the font to the installer dir) does not seem to make any change and was more a guess than a verified solution.
    You say this "invalid file handle" error is known, but I've never heard of it. If you assume you have the same issue as somebody else, refuse to provide log files to prove it, and don't even bother to link to a thread with a similar issue then I'm sorry but I can't help you.

Good luck!
    mm

StarWup

Portal Pro
    April 7, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Someone reported it here https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/invalid-file-handle-32-and-sql-start-error.126631/
    but apparently he had nothing to lose and simply reinstalled everything including MySQL.
    In this case I will not reinstall anything in the risk of losing everything. I speak from personal experience while using MP for some time ;-)
    As I told yesterday I restored to a System Restore Point before the update and everything works fine again.

My HTPC is a Win8.1 x64 machine and it's sole purpose is running MP in a single seat setup. Since this is my productive system, I've decided not to experiment with the system. So I never change anything on this machine without thinking twice. I even deactivated Windows Update (and some other application specific updates) to make sure the system doesn't change without notice. I backup daily. I do not install beta's oder preview releases. I stay on the safe side.
    So everything that's going on with MP on this machine is stock and absolutely not customized. This machine is the result of installing a MP update now and then. Maybe you can imagine my anger when simply running the installer for MP 1.9 crashed the MySQL service and left MP dead without any interference....

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    In this case I will not reinstall anything in the risk of losing everything.
    If you make a backup, you shouldn't lose anything. Since you have a working installation restored, you can simply use the export function of the TV Server to export your settings. As an alternative you could use the BackupSettings plugin to make the backup of both client & server installs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom