[no Bug] Upgrade from rc4 to rc5 + rc5 to rc6 (1 Viewer)

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Simone,

Thanks for replying - I solved it by uninstalling and "fresh" installing again.

To my knowledge I'm not running an SVN'ed version on my main HTPC. Yes I have some custom files (DJBlu's EPG tswriter, Owlroosts dshowhelper, might have Manfred's update too) - but not a full SVN release.

I am suprised the installer completed ok with no errors/reports of issues to user on the screen?

Apologises I should have been more thorough with checking the logs.

Thanks,

J.

ps - What does the installer check? TVplugin.dll version?
    pss - Nice reply tourettes :D

paul@kilsbyp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 20, 2007
    Home Country
    1.0.8.0 is Rc4 1.0.9.0 is RC5 1.0.10.0 is RC6 hence from RC4 To RC6 the diff will be 1.0.8.0 & 1.0.10.0 Thats ALL

Paglioni

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2007
    i have a similar problem
    upgrading from rc4 to rc5 didn't update the tvplugin in the mp client (reported as 1.0.8.0, needed 1.0.9.0)
    now i've upgraded to rc6, and only my tv server got updated.. no mention in the installer about mp client.
    now i can't "upgrade" anymore because my tv server is rc6

btw, i think that the installer have to let us "upgrade" as many times as we want if the version istalled is the same we are installing, so we can try to resolve problems without installing from scratch.

Lastly. don't really know when it started, maybe in rc3 or 4, but my tvservice don't get stopped by the installer (status "stopping" in the service manager), so usually the install fails, then i kill the tvservice.exe process and launch the upgrade again, and it works...

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Just my 2 cents about Upgrade from one 1.1 RC to another, for Devs to be considered and for users with similar problems:

1. new RC Version fails to upgrade TV-Server if TV Service is not stopped manually before (there comes the error message on MP startup: "TV-Client Plugin and TV-Server not the same Version")

2. Mediaportal TV-Client Plugin looses connection to TV-Server after Upgrade (there comes the error message: "connection lost to TV-Server")

Solution to Problem 1: uninstall TV-Server manually with recomended settings (obviously this will stop Service) and reinstal only these components with the new RC. Or prevent this scenario with stopping Service manually before upgrade

Solution to Problem 2: open Mediaportal Configuration -> TV-Client -> set Server to 127.0.0.1 (on single-seat) AND REBOOT!

buttom remarks: I had these problems on Win7 32bit, at upgrading from RC4-to-RC5 and RC5-to-RC6. And I do not have logs, grab your own if you need on reproducing these issues.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Just my 2 cents about Upgrade from one 1.1 RC to another, for Devs to be considered and for users with similar problems:

1. new RC Version fails to upgrade TV-Server if TV Service is not stopped manually before (there comes the error message on MP startup: "TV-Client Plugin and TV-Server not the same Version")

Solution to Problem 1: uninstall TV-Server manually with recomended settings (obviously this will stop Service) and reinstal only these components with the new RC. Or prevent this scenario with stopping Service manually before upgrade

Hi,
    Another solution would be to reboot before install since I have seen in some special situations that TV Service can't be killed or stopped due to EPG grab & something with that part causes it to hang instead of killed & therefore not updated correct on install.

Regards
    Roy

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy

Are you sure is TvServer not updated ?
    In some screenshtos I for sure saw a old TvPlugin version and not a old TvServer one !

Simone

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Just updated from RC4 to RC6 and TVPlugin doesn't match MP Config says 1.0.10.0 vs 1.0.8.0. Full logs attached.

If I try to run the installer again it only gives me the Fresh Install option.

Attachments

• TVServer.rar
      185 KB

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Are you sure is TvServer not updated ?
    In some screenshtos I for sure saw a old TvPlugin version and not a old TvServer one !

Simone

not sure. After starting MePo came error message "TV Client Plugin and TV-Server have different version" and MePo closed. AFAI remember it was Client 1.0.9 and TV Server remained 1.0.8. Or the way around? I dont think so. I ran RC installer once more, it said everything is up-to-date. Restart MePo -> same error. Uninstalling and reinstalling TVServer with default recommended settings helped. But after that lost connection to TV-Server...... :mad: I made a complete new install, from scratch Win7, 3 hours work. And for 2 days Update from RC5-to-RC6, stopped TV-Server before worked flawlessly (but I made an acronis full backup of C: before this time). Then lost connection to TV Server. Adding 127.0.0.1 and reboot helped.

KevL

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2005
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    I have been caught by this bug a few times since RC1. I now make a point of proceeding as follows.

I go into winXP services and stop the TV service and tell it not to restart automatically. Then I reboot and carry out the upgrade. I have forgotten to do this previously and had to do a complete uninstallation - hence loss of database settings, tuned channels etc - to fix the problem of TVserver version being incorrect.

K/.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom