Upgrade help for my first HTPC (1 Viewer)

DaFixer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi guys

I want to upgrade my old AMD64 x2 4200+ CPU becase, When i want play a big ass 1080p rip ( 9~15 gigabyte).
    Al i get is lag. 720p and 1080p (8 gigabyte) runs very good.

So i want to know is a AMD64 x2 7750 cpu a good choice for full 1080p support?

I have M2A-VM HDMI mobo and the 7750 is the last CPU that support my mobo.

bazzz

Portal Pro
    March 29, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    That should be plenty of power. The other option to consider is to get a new video card that can do hardware decoding of H.264 sources. Although that would probably cost similar money and involve a certain amount of playing around to get the right codec combination for you. Something like an Nvidia 9400GT would probably do the job well enough.

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    what gpu are u using? (I would have though an x2 4200 would get the job done with a reasonable graphics card)

Have you tried alternating your codecs?

DaFixer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi i have a ATI redeon 3450 265mb graphics card. And i'm use K-lite codec pack 4.70.
    When i try an newer codec pack then i get a black screen whit dvd's :(
    Averything works now, but only the big ass 1080p rips not this is my only problem.

drealit

Portal Pro
    March 15, 2008
    Ya get rid of that terrible terrible codec pack as your first step... don't use codec packs all they do is make a mess of your system. Use the SAF filter package here on the forums... and I myself would upgrade your video card. The 4550, or my personal favorite, the HD 4670 (which handles all fronts). The 4550 (in the states) can be had for as low as $35... the HD 4670 is around $55 depending on your deal hunting skills.

DaFixer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    drealit : Ok If i use this SAF filter package. Is that easy to install?
    And the HD 4670 are here 50 euro's so if i get this things wil then 1080p playback less laggy?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I want to upgrade my old AMD64 x2 4200+ CPU becase, When i want play a big ass 1080p rip ( 9~15 gigabyte).
    Al i get is lag. 720p and 1080p (8 gigabyte) runs very good.

If you want to do encoding of files upgrade the cpu, if not then the graphics card is the way to go, as long as you are running a motherboard that supports pci-e, if agp, save up pennies and go for new everything in the future :)

DaFixer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    etheesdad: I have tryed to find that package, But whit no luck :( Do you have a link?

Paranoid Delusion: I don't think that encoding is on, Where can i see that? mayby its on by mistake :D. I use ffdshow. My HTPC motherboard have PCI-E.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Paranoid Delusion: I don't think that encoding is on, Where can i see that?

I meant converting recordings to another format, ie xvid\divx\h,264 which are cpu intensive, so the faster the cpu the shorter the amount of time it takes.
    If you never to intend doing above, or maybe only occasionally, then the graphics card is the way to go.

Hope that will help your decision :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom