Upgrade to 1.5 not possible, no TV tune (1 Viewer)

tatus

Portal Pro
March 12, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi there,

I am using MP 1.4.0 (single seat) in our living room and it works great most of the time.

Now I wanted to upgrade to 1.5 and ran into trouble. At first, the installer complains that my OS is not supported (XP MCE SP3), which is odd but can probably be ignored.

The installer finished without error and, after having run configuration, I can start it. But when i start Live TV, I get an error message: "preview failed: unknown error". The same happens when I tune a channel directly in TV server configuration. Then I did the following tests:
- complete removal, fresh install MP 1.5 -> same result
- roll back to MP 1.4.0 -> fine again

I have attached logs and would be happy if someone could have a look.

Frank

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Frank

At first, the installer complains that my OS is not supported (XP MCE SP3), which is odd but can probably be ignored.
    XP is no longer supported in MP 1.5... though it should work (I run XP myself).

This seems to be the problem:
    [2013-10-27 11:28:29,437] [Log ] [5 ] [INFO ] - TvControllerException: System.Management.ManagementException: Nicht unterstützt
    bei System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
    bei System.Management.ManagementEventWatcher.Start()
    bei TvLibrary.Implementations.DeviceDetector.Start()
    bei TvService.TVController.InitController()
    bei System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
    bei System.Management.ManagementEventWatcher.Start()
    bei TvLibrary.Implementations.DeviceDetector.Start()
    bei TvService.TVController.InitController()

Have you installed the latest service packs and updates?
    Are you running the TV service with the normal (system) account?

mm

tatus

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello mm,

XP is no longer supported in MP 1.5... though it should work (I run XP myself).

I tried again with MP 1.6.0, but with the same result. You say XP is no longer supported. I browsed the MP requirements page, and it says Windows Media Center 2005 would still be supported. That's what I am using.

I would update to Windows 7, but that is technically not possible. I run Mediaportal as a living room TV system, with remote control, stereo amplifier, etc. Under Windows 7, MP no longer offers "custom" volume control steps and sticks to Windows 7 behavior. That results in two problems for me: a) the steps are too wide (stereo amp output power is 300W, I drive it directly from line-out), b) Windows 7 seems to interpret "less than 5% volume" as "mute".

So I had to roll back to Win MCE which gives me precise volume control.

I hope to get help with my issue, otherwise I have to stick with MP 1.4 :-/

Frank

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Frank

I tried again with MP 1.6.0, but with the same result. You say XP is no longer supported. I browsed the MP requirements page, and it says Windows Media Center 2005 would still be supported. That's what I am using.
    I'm not surprised about the result with MP 1.6.
    1. Nobody running XP MCE 2005 has reported any similar problem.
    2. As far as I'm aware none of our team are running XP MCE 2005.
    3. You didn't answer the questions in my previous post.
    We simply have no way to investigate further or even attempt to fix this problem.

I would update to Windows 7, but that is technically not possible. I run Mediaportal as a living room TV system, with remote control, stereo amplifier, etc. Under Windows 7, MP no longer offers "custom" volume control steps and sticks to Windows 7 behavior. That results in two problems for me: a) the steps are too wide (stereo amp output power is 300W, I drive it directly from line-out), b) Windows 7 seems to interpret "less than 5% volume" as "mute".
    I seem to recall MP volume handling on Vista+ changed in either MP 1.4 or MP 1.5. I could be wrong... but even if I am, we are not going to support XP MCE 2005 forever. In fact I'm surprised support wasn't dropped before or at the same time as we dropped support for XP.

I hope to get help with my issue, otherwise I have to stick with MP 1.4 :-/
    Please help us to help you! Start by answering my previous questions:

Have you installed the latest service packs and updates?
    Are you running the TV service with the normal (system) account?

mm

tatus

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello mm,

sorry, didn't read your questions.... The system is always kept up-to-date, all critical and optional Windows updates are installed. The TV service is running with system privileges, just double-checked in case the installer did something wrong. I did a complete removal including MySql (recognized that version 5.4 is now preferred). All settings kept as defautl. I can scan for channels, so the connection to the driver seems to be ok. The problem begins with timeshifting. As soon as I click "Preview" for any channel (HD, SD) in the TV server configuration, the error happens.

Frank

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Frank

sorry, didn't read your questions.... The system is always kept up-to-date, all critical and optional Windows updates are installed. The TV service is running with system privileges, just double-checked in case the installer did something wrong. I did a complete removal including MySql (recognized that version 5.4 is now preferred). All settings kept as defautl.
    Okay.

I can scan for channels, so the connection to the driver seems to be ok. The problem begins with timeshifting. As soon as I click "Preview" for any channel (HD, SD) in the TV server configuration, the error happens.
    Hmm, if you can scan for channels then your tuners are detected... which possibly means the exception above is not related to the problem that is affecting you the most.

Could you please post fresh log files.

Thanks,
    mm
    :)

tatus

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi mm,

I have made log files as attached. I found something in TVService.log:

[2014-01-03 17:43:44,056] [Log ] [6 ] [INFO ] - user:setuptv card:4 sub:0 add stream:D:\\live4-0.ts.tsbuffer
    [2014-01-03 17:43:44,056] [Log ] [6 ] [ERROR] - Exception :confused:ystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at TvService.TVController.StartTimeShifting(IUser& user, String& fileName)

I definitely have not set any access restrictions for D:\, in fact this is a FAT32 partition.

Using the default path that MP provides gives the same result...

Frank

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Frank

Attached is a patch that will allow MP 1.6 to work on Windows XP MCE 2005.

@elliottmc I think we should drop support for this version of Windows. It is based on XP. Even more so than XP SP3: the user base is very small, the support from MS is ended as far as I can tell, nobody in the team runs it. Worst is that MS documentation doesn't seem to specify whether certain features work on it. For example, as far as I can tell the problem in this thread was use of this function:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394124(v=vs.85).aspx

The section at the bottom says it is supported on XP, but in practise it doesn't work on this flavour (it works on XP SP3).

mm

Attachments

• TVLibrary[MP1.6_mce_2005].zip
      202.6 KB

tatus

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    this version of Windows. It is based on XP.
    I have SP3 installed on my computer, and I get all regular XP updates. My system also reports that it is XP, this is probably why I get messages "OS not supported" by MP when installing. I will test that binary tonight and report.

Still hoping that XP (MCE) support will stay. Global stats says XP is still at rank 2 of all worldwide OSes (Win7 54%, XP 20%). "Break even" between both was around Mid 2011. For me, I started with MP at its very early stages, and my system is still the same as it was in the beginning. Why change a running system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom