Upmixing not working on LAV (1 Viewer)

apoptygma

Portal Pro
November 14, 2008
Adelaide
Home Country
I've setup LAV for upmixing however nothing comes out of the rear speakers.
I've enabled upmixing in the music plugin, this works fine (sound comes out all speakers) so I know my windows speaker config and my connections aren't the problem.
When viewing a video however 5.1 audio plays correctly, but stereo audio will only come out of the front speakers.

On the mixing tab of the LAV config I have the following settings:

Enable mixing (checked)
Output speaker configuration (5.1)
Don't mix stereo sources (unchecked)
Normalize matrix (unchecked)
Clipping protection (checked)
Matrix Encoding (none)
Center Mix level (0.71)
Surround Mix Level (0.71)
LFE Mix Level (0.00)

On the Audio settings tab I have not enabled any bitstreaming despite having the HTPC connected via HDMI to my reciever as I prefer using the mediaportal volume control in place of the home theatre volume control however I have tried enabling it and it worked fine (still no upmixing however)

apoptygma

Portal Pro
November 14, 2008
Adelaide
Home Country
Yes I'm sure, I've tried with a number of 2 channel audio videos. I'm not sure what the logs are going to tell you, this occurs in Windows Media Player too, LAV won't make logs will it?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes I'm sure, I've tried with a number of 2 channel audio videos.
    But I meant: how are you confirming that the video really does have 2 channel audio? For example, are you using MediaInfo, or...?

I'm not sure what the logs are going to tell you...
    Well, for one thing they'd tell me whether the LAV codecs are actually being used by MediaPortal. That's a critical assumption to check.

this occurs in Windows Media Player too
    Okay... but for all I know WMP could be using other codecs... or even using Media Foundation instead of DirectShow.

LAV won't make logs will it?
    I presume there is some way of getting debug output from LAV (for example you might try enabling the system tray icon)... but that wasn't really my point in asking for logs, because I can't help you with LAV problems. I can help you with MediaPortal problems so I'm interested in MediaPortal logs.
    If you're trying to debug LAV then you might be better asking over at doom9 forums.

apoptygma

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2008
    Adelaide
    Home Country
    Yes using mediainfo that's right. LAV is definitly being used by Mediaportal, all other setting changes I make in the filter configuration dialog take effect. In fact I got to the dialog to enable these functions by clicking the config button next to the codec selection in the Mediaportal configuration tool. I tried enabling the system tray icon and it didn't appear when playing a video (either from mediaportal or WMP). I think you're right in saying I should be on the doom9 forums.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes using mediainfo that's right.
    Okay.

LAV is definitly being used by Mediaportal, all other setting changes I make in the filter configuration dialog take effect. In fact I got to the dialog to enable these functions by clicking the config button next to the codec selection in the Mediaportal configuration tool. I tried enabling the system tray icon and it didn't appear when playing a video (either from mediaportal or WMP).
    That is a conflicting/paradoxical statement.
    If you enable the LAV system tray icon option then you should see the icon when LAV is active. One possible explanation for not seeing the icon is that MediaPortal is not actually using LAV, which is exactly why I asked for logs to check that.

I think you're right in saying I should be on the doom9 forums.
    Without MediaPortal log files I certainly don't think I can do anything more substantial to help you here. Whether you choose to provide log files or ask over at doom9 is up to you.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MediaPortal.log... but possibly only if you set log level to debug.
    If you're thinking of posting log files for me then I'd much prefer you use the watchdog tool as hinted in the link I previously gave you. Use option 1 to start MP in debug mode. Play one of your videos with stereo audio for 10 seconds or so, then close MediaPortal. The watchdog will create a zip file (by default saved on your Desktop) that you can simply attach to a post here.

apoptygma

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2008
    Adelaide
    Home Country
    I understand that the icon not appearing in the tray is a bit odd, and it may be a separate issue. I can only assure you that the filter is active by reiterating that other settings take effect, such as enabling or disabling bitstreaming (toggling these options 'on' results in the mediaportal volume control no longer functioning)

Only reference to LAV I can find is in the config :

<section name="movieplayer">
    <entry name="osdtimeout">0</entry>
    <entry name="zapdelay">2</entry>
    <entry name="zaptimeout">5</entry>
    <entry name="skipsteps">15,30,60,180,300,600,900,1800,3600,7200</entry>
    <entry name="skipsteptimeout">1500</entry>
    <entry name="immediateskipstepsisrelative">yes</entry>
    <entry name="immediateskipstepsize">10</entry>
    <entry name="audiolanguage">en</entry>
    <entry name="filter0">undefined</entry>
    <entry name="autodecodersettings">no</entry>
    <entry name="forcesourcesplitter">yes</entry>
    <entry name="usemoviecodects">no</entry>
    <entry name="audiorenderer">Default DirectSound Device</entry>
    <entry name="mpeg2audiocodec">LAV Audio Decoder</entry>
    <entry name="mpeg2videocodec">LAV Video Decoder</entry>
    <entry name="h264videocodec">LAV Video Decoder</entry>
    <entry name="vc1ivideocodec">LAV Video Decoder</entry>
    <entry name="vc1videocodec">LAV Video Decoder</entry>
    <entry name="xvidvideocodec">LAV Video Decoder</entry>
    <entry name="aacaudiocodec">LAV Audio Decoder</entry>
    <entry name="splitterfilter">LAV Splitter Source</entry>
    <entry name="splitterfilefilter">LAV Splitter</entry>
    <entry name="settinglavplitter">yes</entry>
    </section>[DOUBLEPOST=1414389218][/DOUBLEPOST]I will look into creating some debug logs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom