Upscaling DVD with ffdshow - terrible pixelization (1 Viewer)

osen

Portal Member
January 29, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo wide
Windows Version: Windows XP Professional SP2
CPU Type: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2140 @ 3.2GHz
HDD: Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB
Memory: 2GB PC2-6400
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6
Motherboard Chipset: Intel X38
Motherboard Bios: Official F7
Video Card: Sparkle GeForce 8800GT 512MB
Video Card Driver: 169.21
Sound Card: Auzentech HDA Digital X-Mystique 7.1 Gold
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow 1852 clsid
MPEG2 Audio Codec: AC3Filter 1.46
Cooling: Noctua NH-U12, Arctic Cooling Accelero S1
Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-520HXEU
Remote: Microsoft MCE
TV: Samsung PS-42Q97HD
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hi,

I've been following a LOT of guides on how to upscale DVD's with ffdshow. I've also read through forums until my eyes started bleeding, but haven't found anyone with the same problem.

It works, but I get terrible pixelization on my 42" plasma not matter what. I've tried lots of settings, like LSF, Seesaw and so on. Has someone else experienced this? Even if I just resize and not apply any other filters or things like luma sharpen, I get this problem. I've also tried to use PDVD7 for decoding and ffdshow raw filter as processing, same result. With MPV ffdshow won't even load. Any ideas? I really like the quality with upscaling, is does a huge difference, but the pixelization really sucks. :mad:

Thanks.

Dubyahjay

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2007
    Atlanta
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Are you dropping frames during this time? (shouldn't be with that proc)
    Does it look like digital artifacts? Like with a bad digital signal? or something else?

I have never really heard of pixelization during ffdshow upscale, but issues with deinterlacing...

osen

Portal Member
    January 29, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    No, no frames dropping, CPU load is at about 10-20%. It does look like digital artifacts, I think. Atleast that's what I would call it. Hard to describe really. It's like a "blocking" effect, where the blocks seems out of sync, creating jagged edges and also vertically unsynced lines. I haven't been able to find anything about pixelization with upscaling either.

I did a small experiment and tried playing a mounted image file from the harddrive. This seems to get rid of the problem. I then tried to play a DVD (no copy, original) in my DVD-burner and the problem was there again. So it seems my DVD-burner (NEC ND-3540A) is to blame. Never heard of such a thing, but it seems to be the problem. Going to try some more things to verify. Thanks for the input Dubyahjay :) I hope getting a new optical drive can cure this problem.

Dubyahjay

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2007
    Atlanta
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    That sounds like a more likely culprit, similar to losing parts of a digital steam (or it becoming corrupted). For instance, when my sattelite signal is partially degraded due to rain etc. Let me know how things turn out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom