USB "OEM Capture" stick (1 Viewer)

Rob Kettridge

Portal Member
October 12, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi. This question is very similar to this thread (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/usb-tv-tuner-how-to-configure.131687/) but that appears to have gone off on an argument.

I've got a composite input that i want to add as a channel using a (what is labeled as EasyCap... i say this as there appears to be many different versions flying around from many manufacturers / knock offs) USB stick. Windows 10 detects it and installs it as "OEM capture" under device manager. Installed as this it opens fine in the software that came with it (Honestech TVR 2.5) and also windows VideoView. However it doesn't appear as a card in tv-server configuration. This also appears to be the driver that comes with the device on the CD.

The other driver option that Windows gives is "USB TV Tuner". If i install this driver it appears in tv-server configuration as expected but doesn't give a picture in that, media portal, or videoview.

Any thoughts?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Rob

Short answer: I don't think it will work.

Longer answer...
    As it says in our wiki, with the exception of the Hauppauge HD-PVR and Colossus, TV Server currently does not support hardware that does not have a tuner. In other words, a device that only has a composite input won't work. It won't even be detected.

From what I can see in the log files, the driver that you were using at the time does not install/register a tuner. Therefore the device you have (I'm going to call it an EasyCap just for ease of explanation) would not be detected or supported with that driver. In other words, I'm confirming that your result with that driver is completely normal and as expected.

So, the alternative "USB TV Tuner" driver option sounds like the only possible way forward.

When you say "doesn't give a picture", what exactly did you do to test/confirm that?
    Did you try the "add s-video channels" function from the analog scan section?
    If yes, what happened?

Rob Kettridge

Portal Member
    October 12, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you choose "usb tv tuner" as the driver then it appears in the list of cards. I did click on "add svideo channels" and the following happens if you try and and preview the channel from TV Server Configuration.

Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 14.56.00.png

That's with CVBS#1 selected as video input. If you select 'tuner' is says no signal and if you select any other input you get an 'unknown error'. I get no picture within video viewer within windows either.

Just for completeness this is with the driver set to "OEM Capture". I've just got the composite input wired to a Wii for testing purposes... Just have video viewer open to show that it does work with that driver within windows. (excuse the random mac volume control... screen cap fail :-\ )

Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 14.47.54.png

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...and the following happens if you try and and preview the channel from TV Server Configuration.
    Don't use preview for testing unless you understand the codec merit system and have configured the codecs on your system appropriately. Otherwise a black screen is a possible result even when the EasyCap is actually working.

Instead, please use MediaPortal after configuring your TV codec preferences:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...nfiguration/9_Codecs_and_Renderer/1_TV_Codecs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom