Use Alternative Sites to Scrape Series Info (1 Viewer)

1gkar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 1, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi,
    I would like to use alternative sites, if any exist that can work, to scrape TV series information.
    I am finding TheTVDB.com site extremely poor, these days, in terms of having accurate information. Plus, they seem to flatly refuse any legit amendment requests.
    One example is the series 'Ancient Aliens'. Their episode listings are hugely inaccurate, from season 4, compared to sites like Trakt & Wikipedia
    I can't find any alternative method for scraping info from other sources, if it presently exists, within the plugin. I hope this can be done. Thanks.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    TheTVdB has a valid reason for their numbering, and often shows get locked when end-users don't realize that it is the official TV release order.

There are sites available that will help you fix cross-mapping, such as in your example: Ancient Aliens | Mapping | Xem

1gkar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 1, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for your replies. However:
    TheTVdB has a valid reason for their numbering, and often shows get locked when end-users don't realize that it is the official TV release order.
    Interesting. Can you name one other TV series that have seasons (&, potentially, episodes) listed out of numerological order. It would seem to defy logic.

Trakt get info from TVDB :whistle::coffee:
    If this is the case, how do you explain, according to www.TheTVDB.com's website, there are NO season's 9 or 10? When Trakt clearly shows seasons 9 & 10.
    https://trakt.tv/shows/ancient-aliens/seasons/
    Ancient Aliens - All Episodes @ TheTVDB -scroll down & see for yourself: seasons 9 & 10 missing
    -Season 9 -15 episodes (Trakt) = Season 11 -16 episodes (TheTVDB)
    -Season 10 (Trakt) = Season 8 (TheTVDB)
    -Trakt has doubled up on Season's 8 & 10 being identical
    Seasons & episodes, from Season 11 onwards match

So, it would seem, even Trakt is not completely reliable.
    This is not the only example, but the most obvious & erroneous (to my knowledge).

Furthermore, if one site is responsible for ALL other websites' information being inaccurate, then, I would say they have a significant responsibility for ensuring said information IS accurate. Hence my original query. And NOT allowing information to be amended, or fixing it themselves, does significantly complicate matters, for end-user programmes like Mediaportal.

There are sites available that will help you fix cross-mapping, such as in your example: Ancient Aliens | Mapping | Xem
    I have not heard of this before. I will check it out. Thanks.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    TheTVdB relies on their community to edit.

Trakt scrapes TheTVdB and then relies on their community to edit.

Initial scrape and different edits can lead to different results, especially if mods at either place take different views on what is considered correct.

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    The issue with Ancient Aliens is explained on thetvdb forums - Ancient Aliens Seasons 9 and 10 Deleted - TheTVDB.com.

I usually find that when I disagree with thetvdb, thetvdb turns out to be right. It can be a little inflexible, especially when a tv show is aired in different ways by different broadcasters or whatever, they only support the original airing format, so you're SOL if you end up with anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom