Use SQL Compact instead of SQL Express (1 Viewer)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I enjoy this threads :)

It's like telling the car mechanic: "Why not use the windscreen wiper's motor for cooling the engine? - I've heard it runs much smoother and doesn't need so much space!"

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    So if I understand this all correctly:

The TVServer is used in single-seat and multi-client configurations, but there will always be just one TVServer running.
    And this TVServer is the only app that will be accessing the SQL database? If so, then we could still use SQL Compact as the DB I guess...

Also the client is useng DB for example for EPG data.

Maybe a consideration might be to integrate a communication interface in MP for external clients so all requests will be done by the server itself, then passed to the client. This might simplefy development of plugins that use the database to, depending on how data is passed thrue. I'm aiming at using only one datase, in every possible configuration.
    During installation the user can select if the application is standalone, or using a server.
    This could increase sufficiency and flexebility.

I'm no C# programmer (yet), so I might be talking out of my ass.

PsyDuck

Portal Member
    January 22, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I agree that it would be nice to use a database solution that can be embedded into the installer.
    I haven't checked the code, but what functionality is needed that the Compact version doesn't support?

PsyDuck

Portal Member
    January 22, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Perhaps I shouldn't just skim through the thread before replying....shame on me. :oops:

As the client/server communication is built today it's not possible to exchange the database with the compact version. I really do hope that you guys are considering using webservices (or something similar) to exchange data between the server/clients.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, don't take this too serious - of course we're thinking about ways to enhance the end user's install experience. Like the msi installer can update / download .NET if it is not present it could also include SQLExpress...

In the end I guess most users agree that people who do not manage to install a program properly most likely better buy a PVR instead of fiddling around with HTPCs. [No offense there]

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    You know, you'd be surprised how many POS systems out there have an Access database as a backend. Seriously. Some of these are even multi-store systems too.

While it sucks having to separately install SQL Express (hopefully Microsoft will release a merge module or something similar), recoding TVE3 to use SQL CE then coding the communication layer isn't exactly productive, especially as creating a robust communication layer like that isn't easy, and you're essentially reinventing the wheel. Any caching abilities will be lost too unless coded.

I'm all for making MP easier to install, but this change has far-reaching impacts that are not in the best interests of MP's future I reckon.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom