Using 2 MCE remotes with 2 machines in the same room (1 Viewer)

The Mixer

Portal Member
July 6, 2008
I’ve just got my second Microsoft MCE remote (I want to use it with a desktop with Mediaportal installed), but both the new and the old remote, use the same “channel” when they send commands to the receiver, so both my HTPC and the desktop e.g. start to record, when I press the record button on one of the remotes.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the channel the remotes use (or maybe tweak the remote settings on one of the machines), or do I just have to get an non Microsoft remote, to be able to use one remote to control my HTPC and another to control my desktop PC?

TIA

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Does anyone know if it is possible to change the channel the remotes use

Just not configurable, even with another windows type remote, basic keystrokes will still be initiated, ie up\down arrows, but saying this it does depend on what is "IN FOCUS".

Could do with and-81's thoughts, as he is our remote whizz.

The Mixer

Portal Member
    July 6, 2008
    Thanx for the answer!

I'm still a newbie in the HTPC/using remotes with computers area, so I was thinking that they would work like remotes for TVs, hard drive recorders and so on

I've got 2 Harmony remotes, so if it somehow is possible to "emulate" some other type of remote, then I could use one of those instead of one of the MS remotes.

Hope and-81 read this tread and have some wise words about this

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    hey,

To the best of my knowledge you can't change the code set that the remote uses. They will both appear to be the same remote to the PC.

You could certainly setup your Harmony remote to emulate another remote and using MCE Replacement Plugin, IR Server Suite, Girder, HIP, or Eventghost you could map the two remotes separately.

Hope that helps,

The Mixer

Portal Member
    July 6, 2008
    Thanx for the answer

Do you know what kind of remote I should let the Harmony emulate?

Nice to know tho, that I should be able to use a remote with both boxes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom