Using clone mode to output primary to two devices (TV *and* projector) (1 Viewer)

bigj

Portal Pro
January 10, 2005
Hello all,

I'm thinking of updating my HTPC to add a projector.
I currently use an old ATI 9700 pro with powerstrip, outputing a custom 1024x576i signal to an analog PAL TV (via custom VGA->SCART lead)

I want to add a projector in *addition* to this - so that I can use the TV for normal viewing and switch the projector on just for movies; but avoid any awkward resolution/mode changing. (MediaPortal doesn't always handle mode changes too well - and closing/restarting MP around a mode change risks interrupting any scheduled recordings... so I want to avoid that).

The projector I'm looking at is the Optoma H720x which is a budget 1280x720 native resolution DLP projector.

I don't have any HD sources currently, so I'm thinking I should just use a clone mode on the video card to output the same 1024x576 resolution to both PAL TV and the projector; however,I'd like the projector to run as progressive.

(For good measure I may update the card to a ATI2600XT AGP at the same time.)

Can I do this - can I output my logical primary screen on two heads - one VGA interlaced 50hz and the other at the same resolution but *progressive* 50hz probably over DVI->HDMI? My understanding is that the encoders for the heads handle the interlaced versus progressive stuff so this shouldn't be an issue; however OS/control panel software might restrict me here??

Are there any pitfalls I should be aware off?

Is the ATI9700pro any more/less capable of doing this (than the 2600XT)
(I know the 2600XT has better on board decoding for eg h264; but we're talking just about video modes, encoding and timing here).

(In the future I'll upgrade the old analog PAL TV and get a 720p capable LCD TV - I'm assuming then all will be easy - i.e. I would just run 1280x720p on both heads).

Thanks to anyone who can offer any advice - it will be very much appreciated.

BigJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom