Using generic remote as MCE remote (1 Viewer)

anything

Portal Member
April 20, 2005
Perth, Australia
It seems many of you recommend the MCE remote for Media Portal. So instead of buying one i want to be able to use another remote i have as an MCE one (ie. map all the MCE buttons onto my remote). Is there a listing of all the buttons on the MCE remote and the corresponding short cut key? so i can have my remote just generate key presses and send them to media portal.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    AFAIK the MCE2005 remote doesnt work like that. It actually uses direct ir 'commands' or whatever you call it to lauch and doesnt simply map to key strokes.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    anything said:
    arent there equivalent keyboard shortcuts for the MCE ir commands?
    Not necessarily - there are some buttons on the MCE remote that do not have an equivalent keyboard shortcut (like the power-on/resume and green buttons).

I think that you would have to use something like HIP and then map the keys on your universal remote to the keyboard shortcuts - a list of these is in the MP Configuration, under "Keys and Sounds".

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    anything said:
    it looks like the buttons on the MCE remote do different things based on what area of media portal you are in. is this right?
    Yes, some do, but it is fairly minor. For example, The channel up/down button changes TV channels in My TV, but does nothing when watching a DVD - which is a bit odd, as I would expect it to change chapters in DVD mode... :(

anything said:
    can this be done with keyboard shortcuts?
    Not to my knowledge - but I don't think it would be necessary, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom