Using multiple TV tuner/recorders (1 Viewer)

gwiley

Portal Member
October 24, 2005
Hello all,

I started messing around with MP0.1.3 over the weekend and I have to say, great program! I realize it's still 'in the works' and there are some glitches, but all in all it's excellent and will just get better!

I was wondering if anyone could assist me with a few general questions.

1. I was wondering how MP handles multiple TV Tuner cards as far as recording. Do you have to stipulate which card records what channel, or does MP automatically choose an available card and records whatever shows are scheduled?

2. I use Windows XP SP2 to run MP. Which of the remotes (if any) can I use to control MP? Will the Microsoft one work or does it *only* work with MCE?

3. Is there a streamlined way to set up an MP 'Server', in a sense, and have other MP boxes connect to it to retrieve recorded shows, music, etc.? I mean, I'm sure I could just 'share' the folders on the Server and point the other MP boxes to the share across a network, but is there a way to set up the other boxes in a more 'point and click' type of fashion? And, if I did point them to the TV Recording share on the Server, would they show up in the 'slave' box's 'recorded shows' area?

Many thanks in advance...
GW

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi gwiley,

1. I don't own a dual-card setup, but AFAIK MP "searches" for a free card for viewing/recording a channel. You can also assign cards specifically for viewing/recording. You can also assign each channel to a specific card, but that would be less flexible. So you can pretty much set it up the way you want.

2. The MCE remote works *perfectly* with Windows XP *Professional*, but it needs ServicePack 2 installed for that. Others reported success on XP Home after manually copying drivers from a XP Professional install, but some people seem to have problems with it.

3. Sharing recorded TV shows on other machines is only possible via My Videos by adding a network share to the recording PC on another PC under "Movies folders". It's not possible to add recordings to "Recorded Shows", since that screen is based on the entries which are stored in the TV database.

Kind regards,
    Michel

gwiley

Portal Member
    October 24, 2005
    Thanks for the info scoop! XP Pro SP2 is what I have and a remote is definitely what I need! I'll have to go find the Microsoft one now...it 'looks' like a nicer remote. Now just need to find a way to 'turn off' the monitor remotely!

Thanks!

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,
    gwiley said:
    Now just need to find a way to 'turn off' the monitor remotely!
    The MCE remote sure is a nice remote, and works instantly (after enabling it in the setup). Make sure you get the MCE2005 remote, preferrably the european version (which has four buttons on the bottom extra).

BTW, the MCE remote is partly programmable: You can program the "TV on/off" button, as well as the "Vol up/down" buttons. I use that to turn off my LCD-TV and to control the volume of my A/V receiver.

Kind regards,
    Michel

gwiley

Portal Member
    October 24, 2005
    BTW, the MCE remote is partly programmable: You can program the "TV on/off" button

That's cool, but my monitor has a 'hard' switch...not even remote capable. :(

Maybe when I decide to integrate MP full-blown into a home theatre system I'll buy a flat panel TV and it'll be remote capable and I can program the remote for it.

Thanks again...ordering a second TV Tuner right now to see how it works with MP!

gwiley

Portal Member
    October 24, 2005
    I just got my second AVermedia PVR 150 tuner today (identical to the one I already have in the PC). I installed it and Windows sees it OK. When I add it to the Television -> Capture Cards area I get nothing when I try to turn on the TV (it won't even let me click it on).

If I remove it from the Television -> Capture Cards area I get TV again.

I tried to make it 'recording' only, but that didn't help.

Help?! Please?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

gwiley

Portal Member
    October 24, 2005
    I figured it out. When you add a second card you not only have to add it in the Setup application, but you have to go under the TV Channels section in the setup application. There you hit the TV Cards tab and move all the channels from Available to Assigned for each card. Otherwise they don't play any channels.

I guess when there's only one card it defaults to all the channels.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I wonder with version 0.2.0 if the wizard works through this multiple card issue?

gwiley

Portal Member
    October 24, 2005
    Not sure. But at the moment my AverMedia PVR 150's won't even work in 0.2.x. I even installed the latest CVS. I was bummed! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom