UWP client development (1 Viewer)

Joe The Coder

January 28, 2017
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm in the beginning stages of developing a UWP (Universal Windows Platform) client for MediaPortal 2. I already managed to get RTSP streams playing in the app...but I can't find any documentation/code that demonstrates how to enable timeshifting, change channels, retrieve EPG data, etc. Is there an API available for MediaPortal 2?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Joe,

nice to see developments for UWP platform (y). Could you first explain which kind of features you like to support? Is this only TV, or do you want to also use the MediaLibrary (Videos, Series, Movies, Images, Audio)?

When you are developing on GUI layer, I'd recommend to re-use the high level APIs that are working with the MP2-Server via UPnP. By those API you will have access to all features the MP2-Client also has access to.

Do you have experience with UPnP already?

Feel free to ask for details, our developers will try to help you :)

Joe The Coder

January 28, 2017
    Home Country
    Hi Morpheus_xx,

For right now, I'm focusing on live TV, and the XBox One as the primary platform for the client. Down the road, I'd like to support MediaLibrary and make the UI work well for desktop.

I don't have experience with UPnP yet, but have started reading the documentation on it...looks fairly straight forward (I'm a web developer by day.) I started looking at porting UPnP, HttpServer and MediaPortal.Utility over to .NET Core, but that looks like a fairly involved process, based on the hundreds of missing namespace errors I saw...haha. So, I may look at doing an Owin self-hosted server for the HTTP layer, RSSDP for the discovery layer, and pull over bits and pieces from the existing MP2-Client codebase.

What are your thoughts! (p.s. Thanks for the quick reply!)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

the UPnP approach is only one possible solution. Like you already found out, our core components are depending one some namespaces that are not available on UWP. I didn't ever try this myself, so I can't tell how much this affects.

The HttpServer project as base for our own UPnP library is already planned to be replaced by Owin http layer, but unfortunately no dev could work on this yet. So if you like you could look into this specific part. In this case both your project an MP2 in general would profit :) The SSDP is only one service of UPnP, so I'm not sure if your linked project would cover all MP2 needs.

I also like to mention another project: Plugin: MP2Extended. It is a kind of port from former "MPExtended" which is a WCF service interface to main MP functions, including TV, recordings etc. So this could be a way to investigate as well, it would allow less dependencies to MP2 core parts.

Although I'd like to see MP2 core parts made more or less UWP compatible ;)

MHA

April 5, 2018
    Home Country
    Hi Joe,

Can you share your code to get RTSP working with UWP? I'm trying to do the same and can't seem to find any good resources.

Thanks

Joe The Coder

January 28, 2017
    Home Country
    I don't have the code available at the moment...but I used VLC's UWP control, which has RTSP support built-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom