Vail (WHS V2 Beta) dose not support TVcards, help bug the MS dev team that we need it (1 Viewer)

player-x

Portal Pro
February 4, 2005
Bergen, Norway
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Vail (WHS V2 Beta) dose not support TV cards, help bug the MS dev. team that we need it.

I made a request for it on the Vail dev. page from Microsoft Connect.

Because as of now the Beta of the new WHS dose not support BDA for TV cards.
WHS should support all TV-cards in the same way as it dose in XP/Vista/Win7.

I want to install my TV-cards in a WHS, and stream from there to my Media Centers (MC).

I know WHS is a derivative from Windows server that dose not support TV-card as its is a business product, But hey you are targeting WHS as a home product, so give it a function a lot of people want.

So basically what we need is BDA driver support in to Vail
TV and Broadcast Driver Architecture

I do this now by using the TV-server from MediaPortal (MP) l have installed on a XP pro system, and i stream from there to all my MCs
(4 bedrooms, Kitchen, living room and PC's, Xboxes and laptops, and yeah having 4 big kids, gets you also a lot of PC junk in your house)

I would like to use WHS but as for me, not having TV-card support its a "no go", i do like all the automated backup options, and they would be a welcome addition.

I was disappointing there was no support for TV-cards in WHS v1, imho its just a failure of the design team that its not in WHS v2, its imo ware WHS is all about, having everything in centralized.

If i would use WHS the way MS is setting it up it would mean:
1. run multiple TV cables true my hole house
2. Buy multiple expensive TV/sat tuner cards
3. Buy multiple expensive TV/sat decoder cards
4. No centralized tracing of what gets recorded
5. higher power cost all PC that going to record needs stay on
6. running next to network cables also extra TV-cable and sat-cables true my house
7. No scheduling of recordings from laptops

The cost:

MediaPortal TV-server: 2 cable tuner cards and 2 sat cards + decoder cards +/- $600
(MP TV-server supports recording multiple recordings in the same transponder group)

WHS + multiple MCEs: 6~7 cable tuners and 3~4 sat cards + decoder cards +/- $2000 for still having less function then i have whit MP TV-server.

Only plus would mean i don't have to use the script i am using now to make backups

So as long as: WHS + No BDA TV-card driver support, then for me Vail = Fail

So if you vote it up and feel free to leave behind also comments, like why you want this.

Also i would advise everyone to go true the pages and vote up things that are useful for MediaPortal/us

Maybe it will help, maybe it wont, but for sure it wont hurt ;)

Properly limpwhizkid's How to install Mediaportal on Windows 2008 R2 (x64 only) guide will work ore yhoogi's TV-Server on WHS - Collection of fixes and workarounds will work.
But not everyone is comfy whit OS hack's and till its build-in, the MP dev. team wont support it, and imho it should be something that's standard in WHS, and as they all ready have the code they form Win 7 that they can re-use implementing it inWin7 should not be a big job.

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: Vail (WHS V2 Beta) dose not support TVcards, help bug the MS dev team that we nee

user Mike lowrey stated that t BDA support would be present in the new WHS ?

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Vail (WHS V2 Beta) dose not support TVcards, help bug the MS dev team that we nee

Like said before, i'm playing around with MP on Vail since the beta is available.

Here's a screenshot running TV Server 1.1 RC2 on Vail with a DVB-T Receiver(BDA Driver of course)

Attachments

• Vail BDA.jpg
      Vail BDA.jpg
      376.8 KB

player-x

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: AW: Vail (WHS V2 Beta) dose not support TVcards, help bug the MS dev team that we

Like said before, i'm playing around with MP on Vail since the beta is available.

Here's a screenshot running TV Server 1.1 RC2 on Vail with a DVB-T Receiver(BDA Driver of course)
    Is that native supported ore did you use the patch, because from what i could find one Vail, is that it dose not support it out of the box.
    And i think that is needed, and yes i am going to change to Vail even if the DBA support dose not come native, as there is a working fix, still i think it should be native as one update can break you working box till some smart people find a way to fix it again, still this would properly be days before its fixed and in the mean time you have no TV server.

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Vail (WHS V2 Beta) dose not support TVcards, help bug the MS dev team that we nee

I did nothing except installing the BDA Driver from the DVB-T receivers manufacturer and the TV Server. And if you look into the registry you will find masses of reg keys refering to BDA...

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Re: Vail (WHS V2 Beta) dose not support TVcards, help bug the MS dev team that we nee

mike how did you get around the fact that the tv server install ask for windows media player to be installed? does vail have windows media player on it?

i remember having to crack my WHS v1 install to get wmp11 installed on it before i could install the tv server

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

There is no problem with windows media player... You only have to install tv server like on windows 7.

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Canberra
    Home Country

great sounds a lot more promising then, hope they make it easier to recover from corrupted hdd , eg ability to extract contents of a hdd without needing a VAIL install.

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I can't promise anything, but i think they will offer a software to access the files... and if not anyone of the community will extract the drivers from Vail ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom