Very cold color temperature 780G chipset (1 Viewer)

Uncle Woja

Portal Member
October 12, 2006
Home Country
TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: 1.0 RC1
MediaPortal Skin: Monochrome
Windows Version: XP PRo 32bit
CPU Type: 64 X2 4600
Memory: 2gb Kingston DDr2 667
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H Rev 1.0
Video Card Driver: Latest Catalyst Drivers
h.264 Video Codec:
TV: Panny PX4270A Plasma
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI --> HDMI

Like the title says. I recently upgraded the motherboard in my HTPC to the new gigabyte mATX with the 780G chipset. VERY happy with it so far (aside from LAN not waking up from S3) apart from one major beef I have.

The colour temp of video is EXTREMELY cold. I usually like my video a little on the cool side, however I have the colour temp of the TV set to the warmest setting and the video is still too cold for my liking.

I can't find and colour temp control in the latest catalyst control centre and google hasn't been my friend lately as I can't find any information about the issue.

I've tried monitor calibration and adjusting the blue channel gamma and things start to look better until a video is played, then everything resets to the way it was.

Playing video through Zoom player (I think. Player bundled with the Combined Community Codec pack) comes out perfectly, but anything through Mediaportal is much too cold.

X264 video is better than DivX/XviD. Anyone else have a similar problem or knows how to adjust the colour temp in the Catalyst Control Centre?

Uncle Woja

Portal Member
October 12, 2006
Home Country
Well, I'm pretty sure it's a video overlay problem and has nothing to do with the chipset as adjusting the video overlay settings through Catalyst Control Centre has no effect on Media Portal.

Something seems wrong with Media Portal. Any help? And more info people need?

debaser_uk

Portal Pro
June 15, 2006
NE Lincs, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

Colour temps and adjustments are usually handled by the codec's you are using. I'm using Nvidia Purevideo, until I tweaked the settings to my liking, the colours looked terrible. I also use the divx codec, I had to tweak this too as the default settings were over bright. I never use catalyst control center to control the colour settings, it's not worth the effort in my opinion. What codecs are you using?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Well, I'm pretty sure it's a video overlay problem and has nothing to do with the chipset as adjusting the video overlay settings through Catalyst Control Centre has no effect on Media Portal.
    Since MediaPortal uses VMR9 (and not Overlay), then you need to adjust the colour settings in CC under the "3D" option (I think that's what ATI call it - the settings for games) ...

Something seems wrong with Media Portal.
    No, the problem is with your Video Decoder/Video Driver/Video Card setup ... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom