Very low sound in two rear speakers and good in front?! (1 Viewer)

XperienZe

Portal Member
October 23, 2005
Hi all!

Really love your work with MediaPortal!
But I have for a long time having this issue with sound in the speakers. I use a cable from my built in soundcard (one channel, stereo) to my DVD-player that has got 3 front, 2 rear and 1 subwoofer. I havn't get any good sound in the rear speakers yet... sometimes i get sound in just the two in the front and sometimes all three in front, but the 2 rear hasnt got any... or it is vey low and bad.

In windows audiosettings i have tried to set the speakersystem to 2 speaker (stereo) and 5.1 (as i own) but with both i get the same result. I not only have this problem with MP, i have the same problem when i play music in for example Media Player.
I know this has worked before with all speakers, i reinstalled Windows today and forgot the settings.

-------------------

Another problem is that in some (very few) movies i get a very low sound, i have FFDShow, DScaler, AC3Filter, VobSub installed. In the Media Portal settings i use the DScaler as videocodec and AC3Filter as audiocodec. In the settings of AC3 i have tried both 2.0 (stereo) and 5.1 and also higher the Speech-volume a bit (this improoved it a bit, but not perfect.

BTW, should i use FFDShow for something? It isnt in my list of videocodec, only in audiocodec... and i tried it as an audiocodec and changed the settings in FFDShow to Output>AC3, but no improvements.

I would be very happy to solve both of this problems!

And by the way, in VideoLAN (VLC) the speech-sound works excellent, but not in MP :(

Thank you all!

XperienZe

Portal Member
October 23, 2005
SPDIF is optical, am i right?
Nope i dont connect it trough SPDIF, i use one audio-cabel (black) to the green output on my motherboard.
This has worked before with exactly the same cable and everything, i hear a low sound "crushing" in the rears.

BTW, i have tried to set the surround on the DVD to on and off, both with same result!

This is a thing that really needs to be solved!
And i have the same problem in XP when playing music!

Please help me out of this!

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    Ok, i assume you are using coaxial spdif out. Please fill out support template (copy from example and fill necessary parts) so we can proceed with this one

CoolHammer

XperienZe

Portal Member
    October 23, 2005
    Okey, here it comes:

Area: Media Portal / Windows / Skin Original / Plugins
    MP Version: 0.1.3.0
    Skin: What is it called, the light blue original skin!
    Windows Version: Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2 and .NET 1.1 and 2.0
    CPU Type: Intel P4 1,6 ghz
    Memory: 512 mb (2x 256)
    Motherboard Chipset: Dell (no special model)
    Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 2 MX
    Video Card Driver: Latest, downloaded yesterday
    Video Card Resolution: 800x600
    Video Render Type: Don't know?
    Video Codec Type & Version: DScaler, FFDShow, VobSub
    Audio Codec Type & Version: AC3Filter, FFDShow
    TV Card: None
    TV Card Type: None
    TV Card Driver: None
    Optional Log: It is not needed i think?
    Optional References: None

Synopsis: The problems did i describe in the first post!

---------------

Hope thats enogh (spelling? ;)

I really dont know what to do, and i want both of the problems solved please!
    First of all, which audio/video-codecs should i use and not use? And how should i do the settings of the codecs and MediaPortal?

Thank you all!

gozzy

Portal Member
    July 19, 2005
    Another problem is that in some (very few) movies i get a very low sound, i have FFDShow, DScaler, AC3Filter, VobSub installed. In the Media Portal settings i use the DScaler as videocodec and AC3Filter as audiocodec. In the settings of AC3 i have tried both 2.0 (stereo) and 5.1 and also higher the Speech-volume a bit (this improoved it a bit, but not perfect.

I had a similar problem with the sound and went to the AC3 codec Config (start>programs>Ac3 Filter). You can adjust the gain settings on the mixer tab to boost the sound.

Hope that helps

XperienZe

Portal Member
    October 23, 2005
    gozzy, yea thanks i tried that but it went a bit better then, not perfect!

CoolHammer, so what you suggest is to uninstall all of my other codecs and just run DScaler? No FFDShow or AC3Filter?

Where can i find this setting you are talking about, i couldnt find any audiosettings i Dscaler?

Thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom