Very Low sound on mkv files (1 Viewer)

Metal Mick

February 16, 2012
Home Country
Hi all,

this is a query, and not a real problem.

I find that when I play mkv files, the sound is quite low - far lower than avi or mpg files. So low is the sound that at a reasonable listening level, system sounds are exceptionally loud. This means I have to ramp down sound when pausing or similar, and ramp it up again to hear dialog, etc.

Is there a way to boost the sound of the mkv files?

I have HDMI (sound and video) from my HTPC to my Onkyo receiver. I'm a little unsure of what other information I should provide, but let me know and I'll provide it ASAP.

Cheers,

Michael P

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    do u get 5.1 through the HDMI when playing those MKV's?

If so.. its probably bitsreaming the audio - giving you exact lossless audio which happens to be quieter than all the other video types u play

You cant change bitstreaming audio volume on your PC, only your amp - this is due to the fact your PC is not actually "playing" the audio.. your amp does all the work.

If u dont want to keep changing the audio level on your amp, you can lower the audio out levels for all your other content to make both bitstreaming and "everything else" the same volume level.

The properties page of your audio codec would possibly be the best place to go... or if your using windows 7, right-click on the audio icon (next to your clock) and lower the volume level (FOR MEDIAPORTAL ONLY).

Metal Mick

February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    do u get 5.1 through the HDMI when playing those MKV's?

<snip> your PC is not actually "playing" the audio.. your amp does all the work.

If u dont want to keep changing the audio level on your amp, you can lower the audio out levels for all your other content to make both bitstreaming and "everything else" the same volume level.

<snip>.

Many thanks for your help. If the file is coded for 5.1, I usually get 5.1.

However, I must have fiddled at some stage, because I wasn't getting 5.1 sound. Playing a DVD/Blu-Ray though, gets me 5.1, and so too, VLC and XBMC, all yielded 5.1 sound by default. I got under the hood of MP and changed codecs to LAV. This gave an unexpected sound boost, but also added 5.1, so I'm happy now. If there are better alternative codecs, please tell me and I'll look into it.

I did try your suggestion, and thought it quite a good idea. You're right regarding the role my receiver plays in this, and I checked its settings too, and all seems good.

Thanks again,

Michael P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom