very poor signal strenght (1 Viewer)

zacht82

Portal Member
July 5, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have just recently purchased my htpc and built to spec and have installed a Pinnacle PCTV Dual DVB-T Pro PCI.

I have the mediaportal setup on the machine and i did a search for tv channels, and got none. i have checked my area for digital signal and there is non until the switchover date of 2012.

is there a way I can still get my tv to work through my htpc, as the wife is telling me how much i've spent and its a waste... I desperately need to convince her otherwise!!

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/images/smilies/thx.gif
:D

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, you would need an analog card instead of your DVB-T...

So maybe exchange the pinnacle in the shop where bought it. You can still use the rest of the hardware, no problems on that.

druffski

Portal Member
    May 2, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    I thought the UK had digital signal everywhere, but it appears I am mistaken!

My advice is the same as Mbuzina: return the card, and get a analogue one. 5 years is a long time to hang onto the card, and you can bet any money the technology will change dramatically between now and then.

My wife also complains that I spend too much on the htpc - I just downloaded her favourite shows and showed her how to watch them. Now I get in trouble if I've not downloaded far enough ahead :)

zacht82

Portal Member
    July 5, 2007
    Home Country
    what card to go for compatible with MP

so what sort of analog card would you recommend compatible with MP?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Hauppauge PVR500mce, as hardware encoding and as it is twin tuners would allow you to watch one channel and record another.

If only a single tuner required then the PVR150mce would be the choice.

A hybrid might have been a choice (analogue\digital) but 5 years is a long time to wait for a signal and as technology improves\changes not worth it.

Regards

zacht82

Portal Member
    July 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Ananlog card

ok bear with me then, analog will only be able to pick up the standard 5 channels?

walkerx

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2006
    Home Country
    yes - if you get good signal strength

if you have sky, and output through aerial you could then pick this up as well

the date you've supplied, seems to be more like when the analogue signal will cease, mine is also 2012 yet i get perfect freeview - actually have 3 freeview devices running through my aerial (2 boxes and 1 pc)

if you go to the freeview website it will give you a rough guide if you can get freeview or not - also if someone has a box in your area see if they will let you test it through your aerial

zacht82

Portal Member
    July 5, 2007
    Home Country
    ok so would i connect the pc and freeview box to each other, would i just need to purchase a satelitte card?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    A standard Freeview box generally is able to tune better into a weaker signal, than a DVB-T card installed in a pc.

So you may, as walkerx say's, be in a digital area where the signal is borderline whether it works or not.

The only way of proving it, is a local aerial supplier will be able to say if you can receive a signal (may require aerial upgrade), or borrow a decent freeview box (samsung and philips have pretty good tuners in weak reception areas).

Remember all transmitters are sending out digital signals, but they are not running on full power until the analogue service is shut down.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    I'm in a non-freeview area but get 5 of the 6 muxes from Hemel Hempstead. This took a LOT of messing around with a new aerial, amplifiers and cable positioning before I could get stability. It goes into 3 Nova-T cards.

A masthead amplifier is a must, but patience is the most important requirement!

Looking back I think I would have got 3 cable/satellite cards instead. I'm still getting very tempted by a satellite system, but I've not researched yet how well it will work with MP or HTPCs in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom