Very slow TV Database? (1 Viewer)

hoppy

Portal Pro
March 10, 2006
Cambridge, UK
Area: Media Portal Program
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0 (2006-07-03)
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
.NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
Audio Codec: NVidia Pure Video
Video Codec: NVidia Pure Video
CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+
Memory: 1 GB
Motherboard: FT20V10 (Shuttle Inc)
TV Card Model: FloppyDTV DVB-S
TV Card Type: DVB
TV Card Driver: 4.2.0
Video Card Model: Radeon X800 Series (256 MB)
Video Card Driver: 8.252.0.0
Video Card Resolution: 1360x768
Video Render Type: VMR9
Audio Card Model: Realtek High Definition Audio
Audio Card Driver: 5.10.0.5116
Synopsis::

Its a gripe rather than a problem, but when you select a programme in the EPG it takes a very long time to bring up the next screen, more than a minute sometimes. While this is happening any playing video freezes (audio continues mind) and the GUI is not responsive.

I'm in the UK with the SKY sattellite package and I know certain programmes can be repeated a lot (mainly on UKTV), I've had 30 pages of upcoming programmes before, but should it really take this long? Is there any kind of optimisation I can carry out on the database once the xmltv import has taken place?

The main problem is that if you select any of the upcomming programmes to record it then takes a very long time before the GUI becomes responsive again.

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
that sounds very odd, a computer like yours you should not really have any hiccups, perhaps a minor stutter if it was importing the tv guide at the same time, but i can't see why your computer should have any ideas with speed in MP at all.
Perhaps i dont' experience this because in australia we only have like a max of like 7 channels or so free to air. Anyone else in the UK having issues like this?

hoppy

Portal Pro
March 10, 2006
Cambridge, UK
I tried to reduce the amount of guide data by reducing the "Days to keep in guide" down to 4, but this option seems to be ignored? I cleaned out the guide and ran the grabber and I've still got around 2 weeks of data in the guide. :(

hoppy

Portal Pro
March 10, 2006
Cambridge, UK
I deleted most of my channels, down to about 15 or so and edited the xml tv config to remove the deleted channels. I also checked the epgMapping table and the deleted channels had been removed. I re-impoted the guide data and it still takes a very long time to bring up some programmes.

Stargate SG-1 for example has 23 pages of upcomming episodes, and this takes around 20 secounds to appear (when clicked on from the epg). If you click on one of the upcomming episodes you can see it re-building the list with a new programme being added every half a second or so.

Anyone got anymore suggestions?

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Maybe the TV database is damaged. You can try creating a new one (if you're running 0.2 release).

1.- Back it up, it's called TVDatabaseV21.db3 and it's located in the database folder (save a copy of this file elsewhere),
    2.- Open the set up of media portal go to the TV section and where the channel list is located click "Backup" to create a backup and select a folder to store it,
    3.- Click accept to close the set up,
    4.- Delete the TV database,
    5.- Load the set up againg, go to TV, click restore and select the location where you saved the backup,
    6.- Click accept to close the set up,

hoppy

Portal Pro
    March 10, 2006
    Cambridge, UK
    igalan, thanks for the suggestion. I've have already tried that, but I did try it again just in case. I still have the same issue. I think it may just be the number of channels I have set up (around 65), I don't watch most of them so I should probably just delete them :)

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    If after deleting several channels everything works as expected, maybe one of the devs sould take a detailed look at this problem. You can post the issue in http://www.testteam-mediaportal.com/Joomla/ along with logs and possibly the database. However since the dev is transitioning to a new TV plugin, I don't know how the issue would be treated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom