Very weird problem - TV Database gone? (1 Viewer)

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.3
MediaPortal Skin: X - Factor 683
Windows Version: Win7 64b
CPU Type: AMD Athlon X2 245e 2.8Gh (45W)
HDD: OCZ Vertex2 60GB (FW1.5) + Samsung Spinpoint 750+1000 Gb
Memory: 4x1GB Kingston
Motherboard: Gygabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
Video Card: ATI HD5670 (MSI CYCLONE)
Video Card Driver: ATI Cat 10.8
Sound Card: Xonar DX (PCI-E)
Sound Card AC3: Optical
Sound Card Driver: Xonar DX 08090281747_XP3264_RC01
1. TV Card: Twinhan PCI AD-CP300 (2033)
1. TV Card Type: DVB-C
1. TV Card Driver: BDA from manufacturer
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC-HC Codec (SAF)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: FFdshow (SAF)
h.264 Video Codec: MPC-HC (SAF)
Satelite/CableTV Provider: CableTV - Digital Caiway
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion V2 Silver
Cooling: CPU: Passive (Scythe mini) Case 2x120mm Noctua NSF120
Power Supply: Corsair HXEU 520W
Remote: Harmony 785 + MCE receiver
TV: Sony KDL32D3000 (32")
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hi all. First thank you for working all this time on this awesome product. To me it is the one and only propper HTPC software :)

Now, My WEIIIRD problem.
As far as I know, I havent changed anything.
Suddenly, I couldnt get the TV to tune in anymore. Did a couple of reboots. Tried various IP adresses / host names etc. Nothing helped, even a rescan of channels didnt work. I wasnt able to deleete a channel anymore. (weird_)
SO I desided to delete the TV section (not MP itself) and kept the database.

During the reinstall procedure of only the TV module, I get the following message.:

The database isnt automatically created correctly or something (I guess) because I have to manually select the DB type. All is grayyed out. And input the password MediaPortal AND enter a Scheme name must be entered..

MP cant connect to TV part anymore and the TV setup menu wont start as well, complaining about the missing root thing.
What is going one here?
After this I did a complete TV section uninstall and tried to reinstall it. BUt the problem and messages stay the same. Its gone.
Did some update on Microsoft or Office suite ruin my perfecly good setup here?
Where can I pull an error log from?

Attachments

• Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    130.7 KB
  • error2.jpg
    error2.jpg
    57.5 KB
  • error3.jpg
    error3.jpg
    102.3 KB

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Well, I think setting up Explorer 9 or Office changed something to a SQL DB,
this in combination with me deleting the TV server part completely could have done the same. The last is ofcourse the most likely explenation.

When I run just the TV-server deploy tool, it didnt pick up the missing SQL thing.
When I run the installer in advance mode, it detected it missing and after installing it like that, it worked again.

I think I was a little trying to be to creative....

BUT....

One thing that could be more clear during the std setup. When prompted to select "New/Fresh installation' or update existing installation, It is not clear enough to me what happens to the current userinformation. Because of this, when I came to this point, I thought it would delete all the current userfiles of MP itself. Thats why I decided to do unusual stuff, resulting in the things described above.

But in the end: Yes, its a user error... AGAIN>.. :)

K24A3

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Sometimes the SQL Database can get corrupted, which can often happen when MP freezes up and you force a reboot. All EPG data is missing and never returns, but the channels are still ok.

It was a headache trying get fix it. Reinstalling MP didnt help at all.

The fix:

Completely uninstall MP.
    Delete MpTvDb.* from c:\programfiles\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\
    Reboot
    Install MP Fresh.

I wish there was an easier way. It would be great if there was an option in MP Configuration to clean or recreate the database automatically.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    K24A3

There is a much easier way than that - see -->here<--.

Regarding edterbak's problem: the gentle.config file usually contains the database connection information. If that is somehow wiped (as looks like it was the case here) then simply replacing that file with a copy from a friend (make sure you amend the connection details though!) should solve the problem.

mm

K24A3

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2010
    Home Country
    @K24A3

There is a much easier way than that - see -->here<--.

Regarding edterbak's problem: the gentle.config file usually contains the database connection information. If that is somehow wiped (as looks like it was the case here) then simply replacing that file with a copy from a friend (make sure you amend the connection details though!) should solve the problem.

mm
    Thanks mm. However that thread mentions MySQL.

I use Microsoft SQL since it seems to be a bit more reliable than MySQL on my PC.

Does MS SQL also have an Auto Repair command line?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

From the looks of -->this<--, I'd say yes (although I've never tried it). It seems to be much more common for MySQL to get corrupted, and the Program table in particular.

mm

glenn 1990

Portal Pro
    July 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    So MSSQL is the best database, but why does mp advice mysql then.

I had a lot of trouble with mysql database corruption in the past.
    Now I am using 4TR argus tuner with MSSQL and I didnt had database corruption yet:)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi glenn 1990

So MSSQL is the best database...
    Please don't misunderstand - I'm not saying one is better than the other at all. It is just simply an observation that people seem to report more problems with MySQL. I use MySQL myself and have never had problems with corruption. I also like some of the features like INSERT ... ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE etc. I use both in my RL job - no reason to recommend one over the other really.

...but why does mp advice mysql then.
    I'm curious where you saw that. I guess that MySQL having a free open source community version makes it closer to MP in "philosophy", but like I said I don't really have a preference.

Now I am using 4TR argus tuner with MSSQL and I didnt had database corruption yet:)
    Long may it continue...:) ...although I can't help but point out that you have reported a few compatibility issues with Argus/FTR and MP recently. I'm still a fan of TV Server... but I'm biased. :D

mm

[Edit: I also note that we use the Gentle.NET database abstraction framework, so there could very easily be issues with that or some other plugin that make MySQL more susceptible to having problems.]

K24A3

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Hi again

From the looks of -->this<--, I'd say yes (although I've never tried it). It seems to be much more common for MySQL to get corrupted, and the Program table in particular.

mm

Bookmarked. I'll try that if it happens again.
    Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom