VGA or HDMI (1 Viewer)

gdekeijzer

Portal Member
July 22, 2005
Assendelft
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi there..

I'm in the process of setting up a new Media Center (running mediaportal).
Question is wether to hook it up to the VGA or the HDMI input of my 42" plasma.

What are the pros and cons?

I dont have HDMI videocard (yet).

Regards

lkuech

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2007
    Hamburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This depends on your TV and its capabilities. There are many TV's out there where the picture via VGA does look better as the picture via HDMI. In the most cases these are HD ready panels with a resolution of 1366x768.

Theoretically HDMI is far better then VGA because it is not necessary to convert the signal from digital to analog and back to digital (in the panel). Especially in high resolutions (i.e. FullHD 1920x1080) we are talking about to separate worlds here.
    But unfortunately some HDMI interface controller seem to decrease the picture quality ...
    You should try to find some reviews from other users of your TV to find out what is the best way to bring your PC signal to your TV.

If you are come to the conclusion HDMI is the way to go (like I did) then you should take a look at the new ATI HD series (HD 2400 or HD 2600). These card come with a HDMI adapter and AC3 sound onboard and have a decent H.264 acceleration. The cards should become available at the end of the month and are not expensive...

Bye
    Lars

SpiffBB

Portal Pro
    July 18, 2006
    Generaly a digital signal is better so go for HDMI, there are DVI to HDMI adapters.
    But often pixelperfect is even more importent (output from the computer is same resolution as the screen panel and that the screen doesnt rescale the signal) and unfortunatly some screens only allows that on VGA, you have to google your screen.
    Regards
    Oscar

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Generaly a digital signal is better so go for HDMI, there are DVI to HDMI adapters.
    But often pixelperfect is even more importent (output from the computer is same resolution as the screen panel and that the screen doesnt rescale the signal) and unfortunatly some screens only allows that on VGA, you have to google your screen.
    Regards
    Oscar

DVI & HDMI are both digital signals, so there "should" be no difference in real quality. But the inputs are handled differently for each TV set. For some you can get a 1:1 no Overscan image on DVI and not on HDMI (for some it is exactly the opposite!) and for some both are the same, but both no good.

Check the web by googleing your screen along with 1:1 or pixelmapping as a qualifier. You can also check http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/ for valuable input here.

But do not only check for 1:1 pixels, also check for the Video or Computer color space (video only goes from 16 to 216, Computer from 0 - 255). If that does not match you will be getting a grey black and no real bright color.

SEALen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sundsvall
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I run my Samsung LE-40R75 via the VGA in 1360x768 as it will not run 1:1 on the HDMI port. If you have a good GFX card you will probably not notice very much difference between VGA and HDMI. Specially if you have good and short cables. I get in my eyes a perfect picture.

But if you have 1:1 mapping on the HDMI port you should use that. I would if I could :)

zag2me

Portal Pro
    April 11, 2006
    Home Country
    England England
    I have found hdmi wont run at the higher resolutions of my graphics cards without distortion. I also prefer the image that VGA shows as its much nicer to read fonts.

gdekeijzer

Portal Member
    July 22, 2005
    Assendelft
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hey guys...

Checking the internet. The normal resolution of my Panasonic 42PV60 is 1024x768.
    But sources say is can run on WXGA (1366*768) on VGA input.
    Can anyone explain in normal english?

Regards

SEALen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sundsvall
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    It might be scaling the picture I guess. My screen will for example accept a lot of resolution on the VGA port. Can't remember if it did accept anyone larger than the native though. Always try to run in 1:1 pixel mapped if you can. Some TV:s does however not support 1:1 mapping (SHAME ON THEM!).

xisio

Portal Member
    June 1, 2007
    Limerick
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    You should use vga on 1024x768 (native) resolution for the best result and picture quality becouse You have 786 432 pixels (1024 x 768) in this 9th gen plasma screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom