VGA through HDMI? at all possible? (1 Viewer)

RoyN

Portal Pro
March 17, 2006
Hi Guys,

I have read around and have googled to death but cant find an answer on whether this would work...

Long story short:

I need to connect 3 MacMini's (using bootcamp to run MP) to 3 Sony Bravia LCD panels that have VGA inputs on them. I have tried using PCI->HDMI but the quality can never get sharp enough, and the macmini refuses to display the correct resolution for the panels, and the screens dont scale HDMI inputs, so I tried VGA and it works perfectly...

Problem: These locations already have HDMI cable from where the MacMini is, to where the TV is. And it is nearly impossible to run any cables.

Would the following work?

DVI Out on Mac Mini->DVI2HDMI Adapter->HDMI Cable----->HDMI2DVI Adapter->DVI2VGA Dongle->TV

Or alternatively (in case somehow the cable selects Digital or Analog output on the computer):
DVI Out on MacMini->DVI2VGA Dongle(included in macmini - this to fool he macmini into outputting analog)->VGA2DVI Adapter->DVI2HDMI->HDMI Cable--------->HDMI2DVI->DVI2VGA->TV

Basically, I'm exiting with DVI on the mac (only output) and need to get an analog VGA signal on the other side. HDMI is the only cable I have. The MacMini *CAN* display VGA through the dVI port, but will the HDMI cable carry these analog signals all the way to the other side if I use a few adapters?

Any other ideas? How many pairs are in an HDMI cable? The other alternative would be to hack up each of them to become VGA cables... the lengths arent very big, about 6 feet max...

Any weird ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom