VIA Mobo chipset and Nvidia video card problems (1 Viewer)

voxmortis

Portal Member
May 19, 2005
Sydney, Straya.
Just a little note to say that I've had problems (as have MANY others I've read about on other forums) with my Gigabyte K8VM800M Mobo, which has VIA chipset when combined with any NVIDIA AGP video card.

When running any games that use 3D or Aquamark 3D benchmarking software I'd get very bad performance and random polygons/artifacts all over the place.

I fixed it by downloading RivaTuner from www.guru3d.com and I turned the AGP speed to 4x (from 8x) and diasbled fast-write.

Performance went up massively (over 5 times the score on Aquamark), and have lost the random polygon corruption.

There is something very wrong with the VIA chipset (or the Nvidia drivers) - I don't really care which... but at least I've fixed it, and very happy with the results.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Number one rule if you buy amd get nvidia chipset based boards. Learnt that years ago from via/sis crap :shock:

voxmortis

Portal Member
    May 19, 2005
    Sydney, Straya.
    ...and yet this kind of info is pretty hard to come by.

Nvidia don't support (cos it's a XpertVision card), VIA don't support (cos it's a Gigabyte Mobo)... and half the 'experts' out there tell you to use old Nvidia drivers 66.72, re-install XP, get a better heat sink!!! etc etc

- cheapest solution is to ebay the motherboard and get a better one, it seems!

cgsmith

June 23, 2005
    I bought an Abit VT7 mobo (which has a VIA chipset) for my HTPC and was having exactly the same problem. No matter what I did I couldn't stop it from artifacting. After buying an Asus mobo my problem was fixed.
    I am still struggling to get a refund from the supplier as the mobo says in it's specs that it would run with my video card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom