Video card with TV out (1 Viewer)

01&G

Portal Member
July 5, 2005
Wellington
Yep, thats right. Sky offers a satellite broadcasting but we have another company who is going to delivery a Digital TV thought a cable. Its already delivery a high speed internet thought a cable tv.

So, my understanding is a DVB card need to receive a digital TV signal to my pc, isn't? If 'yes' then I don't worry about it right now.

I need a quality TV output from pc. What do you think about this one?

vbap

Portal Pro
February 15, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
OK, now I don't get it...

I apologise in advance if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but here goes:

Let's be careful about terminology: "Video Card" is the same as "Graphics card" as far as the PC world is concerned. Video cards let you display your PC output onto a computer monitor (ie via VGA/DVI connection). If you want to display your PC output to a TV, you need a "TV-out" connection on your Video card. Usually, this is an "S-Video" connector, and graphics cards that supply TV-out connections will usu8ally include a couple of cables that let you connect that S-Video output connection on the graphics card to the S-Video In connection (or Composite/AV In connection) on your TV.

A "TV Card" or "TV Tuner card" or "TV capture card" lets you receive (input) TV signals on your PC. Your PC's video card will let you display (output) those TV signals to either your computer monitor or your TV set (if you have a TV-out connection on your video card). TV signals can be broadcast in Analogue or Digital. DVB is the digital broadcasting stndard used by NZ (and Oz and Europe). ATSC is the standard used by North America.

So, the link you posted doesn't make sense...it's not a "Video Card with TV-Out" as per the title of this thread. This device certainly lets you display your PC output on a TV, but it's a separate, external box that provides only the "TV-Out" functionality.

You want something like this or this

(I chose some that were ~same price as your original link and are DX9 compatible).

I take it you're not interested in capturing TV signals through your PC then...

01&G

Portal Member
July 5, 2005
Wellington
vbap said:
OK, now I don't get it... I apologise in advance if I'm teaching you to suck eggs
It’s ok, thanks for providing this info. My opinion is that the terminology "Video Card" is the same as "Graphics card", have same meaning, just different people says different, for example I say "Video Card" and mPod say "Graphics card" :) but we are talking about same things. Am I right?

About “TV card”, as I sad before I have a TV card Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150MCE which does not support TV out, but it can capture TV analog signal throught “MPEG-2 hardware encoder”. And this is why I’m not worry about to capture a digital TV signal at this moment. But a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350 TV card support TV in and TV out to compare with my card, basically it’s a “hardware encoder/decoder” and this is why I’m looking for a video card with TV out.

vbap said:
So, the link you posted doesn't make sense...it's not a "Video Card with TV-Out" as per the title of this thread. This device certainly lets you display your PC output on a TV, but it's a separate, external box that provides only the "TV-Out" functionality.
My fault, sorry, I forgot to mention that my pc has build-in video but it does not have a TV out.

So basically what I need is a video card with TV out (AGP4x or pci or usb), low profile, DX9 compatible and with a remote control which can works with MP (or without it, then I have to buy a mce2005 remote control?) as I want to disconnect a keyboard and mouse from pc and control it thought a remote control.

vbap

Portal Pro
February 15, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
For the same money (the FX5200 is a lot less than the device you proposed), you are much better off getting a dedicated internal AGP video card that supports DX9. Low profile depends on your case. Fanless depends on your tolerance to noise. Your internal on-board video will not cut it...

As for remote, I asume then your PVR150 didn't come with one? If not, then MCE2005 remote is quite popular with many users and supported natively by MP.

01&G

Portal Member
July 5, 2005
Wellington
Thanks vbap.

So my understanding is that FX5200 (FX5500, FX6200 and etc) and high version are all ok for MP?

Just browsed some websites looking for an info about a MCE2005 remote control and found that a MCE2005 remote control does not work with WinXP Pro, only with Microsoft Media Center Edition operating system.

Is it right?

vbap

Portal Pro
February 15, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
So my understanding is that FX5200 (FX5500, FX6200 and etc) and high version are all ok for MP?
Yep!

Just browsed some websites looking for an info about a MCE2005 remote control and found that a MCE2005 remote control does not work with WinXP Pro, only with Microsoft Media Center Edition operating system.

Is it right?
I've read that too, but I have seen the sigs of many members here have the MCE2005 remote without MCE OS (just XP Pro, Home).

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Yeh remote works perfectly with Windows XP, I guess they just try to deter people from buying it because they want them to purchase MCE2005. I mean they even included the drivers themselves in XP SP2.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    That second remote is a MCE remote but its the US version which lacks the coloured buttons at the bottom.

01&G

Portal Member
    July 5, 2005
    Wellington
    Hi guys, it's me again. :D

Can you suggest a video capture card with a TV tuner and a remote control up to USD100 which definitely suit with the MP? Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom