Video codec always reverts to Microsoft DTV (1 Viewer)

PierreLo

Portal Pro
September 7, 2004
France
MediaPortal Version: 1.1 Beta
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Win7
CPU Type: N/A
HDD: N/A
Memory: 4GB
Motherboard: N/A
Video Card: Radeon 4670
Video Card Driver: latest ATI
Sound Card: N/A
Sound Card AC3: N/A
Sound Card Driver: N/A
1. TV Card: Floppy-DTV
1. TV Card Type: DVB-C Firewire
1. TV Card Driver: latest fro mDigital Everywhere
MPEG2 Video Codec: Object of this post
MPEG2 Audio Codec: any
h.264 Video Codec: Microsoft DTV
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Numericable
HTPC Case: N/A
Cooling: N/A
Power Supply:N/A
Remote: Microsoft MCE
TV: LED Samsung
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hi,

I experiment all of a sudden a weird issue with MP. Until a few days ago, I could select any video decoder for playing back my ripped DVDs (all ripped to MKV on several hard disks).
Now I still can select any video decoder in MP configiration, but if I leave and reenter MP configuration, video decoder is ALWAYS set back to Microsoft DTV decoder.
The only thing I did was to start Windows MediaCenter once in order to verify something in TV guide (I used to use Windows 7 MC before I returned to MP very recently - Incredible app by the way).
Since I did this, I have this weird ehaviour with video codecs, just like simply entering MC had "forced" my system to always use Microsoft DTD decoders.
I even tried to use the Decoder tweaker (can't remember the name) to "disable" microsoft dtd decoder, but even like that, MP configuration always shows Microsoft DTD decoder in video decoder settings. Disabling Microsoft media foundation did not help either. Very strange.

I can't figure out what is happening here and why it behaves like that.

Can anybody help ?

Thanks in advance

Pierrelo:cool:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would reinstall any codecs that you want, ie SAF from hoborg, sounds like running MCE has overwritten info in the registry, forcing M$ codecs to be given total priority.

If you want more option's than SAF, then try the Vista codec pack from shark007, this is excellent at controlling exactly what codecs are used by the system as default, including MCE, and are great for correcting registry errors caused by some installations :)

PierreLo

Portal Pro
    September 7, 2004
    France
    Thanks guys for your help.
    Finally, I installed the Shark codec pack (although I usually avoid codec packs), and it turned out to work fine.(great package by the way, with all options accessible to the user).

So everything is great now. I use cyberlink decoder for TV with ffdshow postprocessing (resize to Full HD resolution) and MPC video for my mkv files (all my DVD are ripped to MPEG 2 in MKV container with the great MakeMKV software).

I am now a happy MP user. Family immediately said "Wow", and really enjoy the StreamedMP skin.

On to watching TV and movies now :D

PierreLo:cool:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Finally, I installed the Shark codec pack (although I usually avoid codec packs), and it turned out to work fine.(great package by the way, with all options accessible to the user).

I don't consider it so much a codec pack, just the correct way of installing the basic codecs most of us use (FFDShow, MPC-HC, XVID, AC3 and Cyberlink mpeg2), and with it's easy to setup user interface, makes it child's play to setup, or be totally configurable as your needs require.

Just a bit of incite into why I have used VCP for many years, first meet shark007 on the M$ forums in 2003, and his knowledge of how the directshow filters work are very extensive, although he always claims to not be a developer LOL, personally have never had any issue, and it is so easy to configure to do exactly what you want, I consider it a must :), and on friends pc's where they have had a problem with media files, it has always fixed them :).

Too me the guy's a hero, just for ensuring that nothing gets broken on the windows OS, including supplying thumbnails for all my video files of various formats, which I can never get to work with any other setup, and believe me, I have tried.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Shark codec pack and SAF working similar in many ways, both use the same decoders.

Bigest diference between SAF and Shark codec pack is that SAF is primary aimed for HTPC and setup as much as possible fully automatically. After SAF install, there is no need to configure anything.
    Next difference is that SAF only install really necessary decoders, Shark codec pack install for example 6 h.264 decoders and ask user wich one should be used.

I do not known if Shark codec pack is capable to "unlock" Win7 registry, SAF can do it and it will auto setup prefered decoders.

I didnt try to say that Shark codec pack is bad, only to describe diference between each one :)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I do not known if Shark codec pack is capable to "unlock" Win7 registry, SAF can do it and it will auto setup prefered decoders

Sure does work with Win7, even has a seperate x64 codec installer, just in case someone actually wants to use the x64 Windows Media Player.

As far as auto setup, your right, very little should be done by the user, mainly the audio output would need to be set for your own needs.

Capture.JPG

Choice is always good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom