[solved] Video database genres, sort titles and collection thumbnails (1 Viewer)

HakanThn

Portal Pro
February 24, 2009
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Been using MediaPortal for some years, haven't used the Video Database until now though.
Have some newbie questions.

1. Grabber to choose for getting genres
Tested EN:IMDB V1.17, but it doesn't grab genres. Tested TMDB, it grabs genres but it defaults to swedish.
- How do I control the language of TMDB?
- Would use english for most movies, and swedish only for swedish movies. Is it possible to use english names for the genres when grabbing in swedish?

2. Changed sort titles doesn't stick
When I make changes to the field "Sort Title", the change is undone if I select another title and then go back.
EDIT: Solved! This was a simple user error, Need to click the "Save" button to save changes made to the title in the Editor.

3. Collection thumbnails
Trying to set a thumbnail, but the "Add" button doesn't seem to work. Automatic thumb doesn't work either - nothing is shown in MP. How do I do this?
EDIT: Solved! This was also a simple user error, just need to first select the collection on the left-most window, then the "Add" button will work as expected.

Using MP 1.23

Thx for any help,

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    When I make changes to the field "Sort Title", the change is undone if I select another title and then go back.
    I am using MP 1.22, but I don't think that MP 1.23 has changed.

In "Videos", when you set the sort order, it is set only for the folder that you are currently viewing. MP will ask you whether you want to set the sort order for subfolders too, but the change won't affect the sort order of the parent folder, or the sort order of sister folders.

Trying to set a thumbnail, but the "Add" button doesn't seem to work.
    In "Videos", when the focus is on a video file, press the INFO button on the remote control. The context menu that is displayed has a "Refresh video thumb" selection. On my system it is selection number 13, which means that it is off the bottom of the context menu, so you need to press the SCROLL button on the remote in order to see it.

Grabber to choose for getting genres
    I don't use grabbers for video info, so cannot help you with this.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

HakanThn

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thx for the reply.
    Sry, I was unclear. I'm trying to do this inside the Mediaportal Configuration program, in the Video Database section,

I'm trying to set a sort title that's different from the original title of the film, e.g. for the Harry Potter films I want to set a number directly after Harry Potter - "Harry Potter 1..." etc. There's a field for that in the Mediaportal Configuration, menu Video Database / Editor, but changes don't stick.

Same for the thumbnails, can't get it to work for collections in Video Database / Editor menu.
    But I'll try your hint and do it within Mediaportal client, thanks.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Tested EN:IMDB V1.17, but it doesn't grab genres.
    Should grab. i fix it in 1.23 ...
    Tested TMDB, it grabs genres but it defaults to swedish.
    In system language :)
    How do I control the language of TMDB?
    Change system language or change script ...
    Would use english for most movies, and swedish only for swedish movies.
    Hmmm .... One grabber for English movies and One grabber for swedish movies, and manual chose ...
    Is it possible to use english names for the genres when grabbing in swedish?
    May be :) try TI_MDB grabber ...
    3. Collection thumbnails
    TI_MDB grabber automaticaly grab thumb for collection ...
    Trying to set a thumbnail, but the "Add" button doesn't seem to work. Automatic thumb doesn't work either - nothing is shown in MP. How do I do this?
    I try ... Before:
    upload_2019-10-26_14-33-19.png
    After Add:
    upload_2019-10-26_14-33-39.png
    In collection thumb folder:
    upload_2019-10-26_14-34-54.png
    for the Harry Potter films I want to set a number directly after Harry Potter - "Harry Potter 1..." etc.
    Try:
    1 Harry Potter ....

HakanThn

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Many thanks for your help!!
    I solved point 2 and 3 now, that was simple user errors :oops:, updated my first post to show it.

Still have problems with the grabbers:
    Should grab. i fix it in 1.23 ...
    I can't get it to work though. Now tried on two different PCs, and also tried with english system language, but no genres imported with EN:IMDB V1.17.

Change system language or change script ...

Hmmm .... One grabber for English movies and One grabber for swedish movies, and manual chose ...

May be :) try TI_MDB grabber ...

TI_MDB is not on my list of grabbers. Here's the list I see:
    temp.jpg
    Have tried "Update grabber scripts" and "Update internal grabbers", anything else I should do to get that grabber?

I did get the TMDB to work in english: Changing the Windows system language to English made this grabber default to english instead of swedish. This way I can now choose which language to grab, and TMDB grabs the genres. But it is a bit awkward to change system language when I want to grab Swedish movie info.

To summarize my grabber experience:
    - I've tested the different EN:IMDB grabbers, didn't get any genres with them. They seem slow, but they are good at finding the titles.
    - TMDB grabs genres, but it seems to miss out on the search for my titles a lot more than IMDB. And awkward to change grabbing language.

Grateful for any hints on what to use.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    What 2 letters code for Swedish?

--
    WBR, ajs :):whistle::coffee:

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    What movie without genres you scan with IMDB 1.17?

--
    WBR, ajs :):whistle::coffee:

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    I set up IMDB 1.17 and try grab info for Harry potter and the goblet of fire, result:
    upload_2019-10-27_11-52-47.png upload_2019-10-27_11-53-1.png upload_2019-10-27_11-53-6.png upload_2019-10-27_11-53-11.png upload_2019-10-27_11-53-20.png upload_2019-10-27_11-53-25.png upload_2019-10-27_11-53-41.png upload_2019-10-27_11-53-47.png
    In attach my MDB 1.17 grabber, TI_MDB grabber, and TI_MDB_EN (English hardcoded), TI_MDB_SV (SV hardcoded) grabber ...

Attachments

• MP-Grabber.zip
      42.2 KB

HakanThn

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks a lot! This really helps me out.
    Using the TI_MDB_SV v20180227.I, I get exactly what I want, incl. movie titles in both English and Swedish in one search. Genres are filled, and even collections are created automatically.
    Also the IMDB_MP117x now works, fills in Genres automatically.

One important question remains: Why didn't I get the working IMDB grabber and the TI_MDB grabber when I click the "Update grabber scripts"? i.e. how do I get future updates to the scripts?

Note:
    I made some tests comparing these grabbers on five movies, found some strange behaviour. Summarized in a file if it can be of use to you.

Attachments

• IMDB vs TI_MDB test.doc
      27 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom