Video freezing on skip steps MP 1.4 (1 Viewer)

Baron of L/S

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2009
    Gippsland Lakes
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I have recently upgraded my system with a new graphics card (see system specs) and whilst doing so I upgraded from 1.3 final to 1.4 final. Since this MP sometimes freezes when skip stepping through a video (TS and AVI). I have to then force mp to close via the task manager. When this has happened I cannot play any video (even with windows media player) until I restsart the system. I have tried to reload MP 1.4 several times but no good, the only change to the default configuration is "start MP in full screen" is unchecked in general startup, LAV filters and Titan Extended are also installed.
    Any help apreciated, Logs attached

Baron of L/S

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2009
    Gippsland Lakes
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thank you for your very quick response, log attached
    Regards

Sorry please ignore this, I made a mistake and will try it again:oops:

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

I have to be honest and say I'm not seeing the crash cause in your log files. There is nothing extraordinary in the MP log and no crash information in the OS application event log (which is a little unusual). I can only make an educated guess that if you've changed the GPU and you have to restart the system after the problem occurs... well to me that points to an issue whereby the GPU or its driver get into a tiz. Now, maybe that is MP's fault. Not trying to lay blame on NVidia - just saying that the GPU seems to be the obvious avenue to investigate...

I take it you're using the CUVID DXVA option in the LAV settings? What happens if you try other options?
    From what I can tell you're running the 320.49 driver... but are you running the stable release or the beta release? Have you thought about or tried rolling back to the previous stable release?
    Have you thought about or tried rolling back to MP 1.3, and if so does it make any difference?

mm

Baron of L/S

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2009
    Gippsland Lakes
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hello MM, well this just gets weirder!:confused: The only way I can get this box to have stable playback of videos is to plug in a pair of headphones into the audio jack on the back panel and set these to default playback device on the IDT control panel (I found this by accident!).
    Then I can direct MP to send it's audio (in MP config audio renderer) to the SPDIF optical and on to the Marantz AVR (which is what I want to end up doing), this works fine and multiple stepping up and back on the videos is good.
    Now if I unplug the headphones (leaving MP pointing at the SPDIF) the IDT audio panel detects this and sets the default playback device to SPDIF which causes the videos to crash when stepping or even starting from the beginning, not every time but far too many, around one in three goes.
    I have reloaded the IDT drivers and upgraded them too but no joy.
    This set up also means there is no control over the audio in MP when playing a video.
    I realise this is not an MP problem but I would be very grateful for any assistance.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Forgive my ignorance but what is IDT?

[edit: Nevermind, I see IDT are an audio chip manufacturer like Realtek. I thought it was some fancy audio software. :oops: Right, so it looks like IDT don't provide drivers directly to people like us. Are you running the latest drivers from the OEM partner - presumably the motherboard or PC vendor (Intel???)...?]

[edit 2: reading fail! I see you reloaded and upgraded the drivers. I'm not sure what more I could suggest. On the off chance that @Owlsroost might have an idea...]

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm, just thinking out loud...
    If this latest information proves that the problem is audio-related, maybe you could try changing audio codec?

Baron of L/S

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2009
    Gippsland Lakes
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thank you for your responses, I will keep trying different things including the codec drivers,(I appreciate how hard it is to fix things remotely)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom