[fixed] Video in Titles View does not get status set to watched when movie has ended. (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Hm jeah for me personally it makes no sense to only mark videos as watched when I watched them until the end. The only point where this could make a little sense is for movies in my opinion. The problem I see is that we don't have an indicator for "partly" watched videos. So you can't see which ones you have started watching and can be resumed.
    But anyway, thats just a matter of opinion, actually I did no changes on the way how it's done. I just used the code that was already there. So when we like to change the behavior then we maybe should create a poll?
    To be honest I don't understand atm how this could have worked different, even when going a while back through the svn logs.

No changes done in code snippet doesn't mean that it wouldn't break the existing functionality (like testers say that it has been working earlier). If you moved the code snippet (or method call) to a different place it could already trigger the bug testers are reporting.

I haven't looked at the original code (or patch) and I wont since I already know that the my videos plugin code is horrible and really messy (that was the original reason why I did propose the performance fixes to be done after 1.1.0 since they were considered risky).

GhoSe

Portal Pro
    December 17, 2007
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No changes done in code snippet doesn't mean that it wouldn't break the existing functionality (like testers say that it has been working earlier). If you moved the code snippet (or method call) to a different place it could already trigger the bug testers are reporting..

The odd thing is that I didn't even move the snippet that does all the resume state and watched state stuff ;) Thats done in the playbackStopped/changed/ended event handlers. I didn't touch this code at all. I just ensured that they are executed in any case and not just sometimes.

Maybe I have to explain it a bit more detailed:

1. In the shares view we've these playbackStopped/changed/ended event handlers that are processing the resume / watched state.
    2. In titles view these events were not handled at all
    3. Just due to a bug/luck in some situations the event handlers from the Shares View where executed when you were in Titles View. This was the case when you first enter Shares View and then switch to Titles View
    4. In between of my few patches concerning the performance optimization Gibman submitted a "fix" for a bug I introduced. With this fix all these player events where unsubscribed when the user quits the shares view. Due to that the marking of watched videos suddenly was completely broken and not just partly as before. Beside that it also has broken the marking of watched videos when the playback was stopped in an other view than the shares view (e.g. Titles View / MyMusic / MyTV etc.).
    5. So the obvious solution to fix the bug from 4. was to also add event handlers for the player events inside the Titles View and let them execute the same code as in Shares View. That's exactly whats done with my patch.

I hope this is understandable.

OK anyway it doesn't really matter why or how this could have worked. Maybe I really just missed something in the messy code (even if I don't think so :p). I just need to know now how it should work. In my opinion is more obvious and better understandable for the normal user to also mark partly watched videos as watched, because the other behavior you can only understand when you know whats going on. The other bad thing about it is that you don't have an indicator of videos that could be resumed.
    I added a poll for that so just vote against me then I'll see how I get it to work this way ;)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Mark partly watched videos as watched to indicate that it could be resumed?

Wouldn't that be a new feature? Also the poll is flawed since it wont tell what amount of the video needs to be watched to cause it to be marked as watched.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Not only the wording of the poll is flawed, but it is entirely incorrect to add this to a bug report. Please remove it immediately. If you wish to discuss the change of behaviour, this should be entered first in the Team Forum. Thank you.

GhoSe

Portal Pro
    December 17, 2007
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Wouldn't that be a new feature?

Actually fixing the "bug" from this thread is a new feature, because that it worked before was a bug. i-loop was actually correct when he said that he thinks that this never was really intended to work.

Also the poll is flawed since it wont tell what amount of the video needs to be watched to cause it to be marked as watched.

Its not flawed because there is no amount of video to be watched until something happens. You can watch it for a few seconds, then you even have watched it actually. OK you could have your eyes closed, but MP can't know this :) It nowhere says "watched until end" or "watched completely".

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Poll removed.

GoShe, please take that to the team internal forums so we can discuss this matter and then decide what to do.
    If a poll is needed, it needs to be created in a more public area of the forum, not burried inside a bugreport.

:D

Wouldn't that be a new feature?

Actually fixing the "bug" from this thread is a new feature, because that it worked before was a bug. i-loop was actually correct when he said that he thinks that this never was really intended to work.
    I think that you missunderstood what I said.

My assumption as that the "watched" flag _might_ has only worked in SHARES view by design.
    In other words, the developer who created it, forgotten about or database driven views.

This assumption seems to be wrong, because before RC3, the watched flag did work in database driven views as well.
    That should simply be fixed - the functionality of the feature itselfe does not need any changes imo because it works as the name implies "watched". :)

GhoSe

Portal Pro
    December 17, 2007
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, check out the new binary, which works in that odd way you like to see it. Actually I don't care about it, cause I don't use the Titles View at all. So just tell me if you're happy now, so that I can commit the changes.

Attachments

• MyVideo_fix_for_marking_of_watched_videos_in_Titles_view.zip
      466.5 KB
    • MyVideo_fix_for_marking_of_watched_videos_in_Titles_view.patch
      2.9 KB

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I can confirm it works as it did prior to RC3. Many thanks GhoSe. I say go ahead and commit the changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom