Video Play back problem (1 Viewer)

mickb

Portal Pro
June 8, 2005
Travelling Australia
Home Country
Australia Australia
Country flag
Hi, I have posted re my problem and I don't know if the description is too vague or it's just unusual type of fault. I was wondering if I reinstall windows and rid the system of all other possible causes for the problem if that will solve the problem or should I just go back to 1.2.3 as it worked great.

I have tried everything:

Changing the selected codec
installing the Windows 7 codec pack (this is what I used with 1.2.3
installing the latest divx codec pack

and after that the only files I seem to be able to play are mkv. avi, mp4 etc just come up with an unable to play message with the codec required. Interestingly I can play movie trailers from "OnLine Videos"

The WAF is currently at 0 as she is well and truely peeved as it was working fine prior to me telling her how much better it would be. I have a little experience with PC's and to be honest, haven't had any problems getting any previous version of MP to work, but I just can't seem to catch a break with this one.

Anyone who can point me in the right direction would be a life saver

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Country flag
    Lose all of the codec packs and just install LAVF. As far as I can see it plays pretty much everything and does it smoothly, including hardware acceleration on supported hardware.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Country flag
    +1 to above - recently has to reinstall Win 7 in my machine (power cut trashed system in strange ways) - install base system drivers, then 1.3 (beta as it was before RC and Final) with LAV and nothing else - 100% success. Just built Win8 on old old laptop with 1.3 Final, again 100% solid with LAV.

Cheers - JCMP

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Country flag
    Yeah, 99% of video playback problems are due to codec packs. Keeping it simple really helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Thanks @high, bug report options look good now.
    Thanks @high, bug report options look good now.
    Before you create this bug report: Make sure that your system (Windows, codecs and drivers) is up to date, matching the...
    Replies
    Views
    Hey guys, though I might say that I seem to be having the same issues. Not my keyboard playing up, but my logitech G903 mouse is very unresponsive. yet to test HID demo and see what it brings up but will have to do when im back in town from work. Will be keeping any eye on this thread to see what you find.
    Hey guys, though I might say that I seem to be having the same issues. Not my keyboard playing up, but my logitech G903 mouse is...
    Before you create this bug report: Make sure that your system (Windows, codecs and drivers) is up to date, matching the...
    Replies
    Views
    I understand. Unfortunately I've stayed at 1.11 for the longest time because every time I attempt to upgrade further, something in my setup no longer works. I just did the upgrade to 1.23 and my Microsoft RC6 remote loses some of the custom button configuration I had it programmed for. I downgraded back to 1.11, but before I did I...
    I understand. Unfortunately I've stayed at 1.11 for the longest time because every time I attempt to upgrade further, something in...
    Hey everyone - so I've had this problem for a while, but haven't asked about it. I'm running Mediaportal 1.11 on Windows 7. I...
    Replies
    Views
    Skip forward/backword works well for me in 2.3 with the WMC skin using the mouse. I can also FF at X2. All I'm missing is the ability to speed up replay with sound!
    Skip forward/backword works well for me in 2.3 with the WMC skin using the mouse. I can also FF at X2. All I'm missing is the...
    Sorry to ask a question again that I can see has been asked before, but I just cannot find an answer and so many of thew wiki links...
    Replies
    Views
    Strange. The logs show no error and things should be alright. Have you tried another skin/theme instead WMC, e.g. Win10? I don't really expect a different result but worth a try. EDIT: I vaguely remember a problem with the dynamic refresh rate changer. Can you try to temporarily deactivate and try again? The other thing is the...
    Strange. The logs show no error and things should be alright. Have you tried another skin/theme instead WMC, e.g. Win10? I don't...
    Hi team - I know that my profile says I joined in 2008, but I never actually got things set up then. MP1 felt very "raw" at the...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom