Video playback mid-program ... (1 Viewer)

mikerado

Portal Member
May 1, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MP2 user.

Often I start watching a 3 hour sport event (football/baseball/hockey game) an hour after the game has started. I watch the game (on a client) while it is still recording (on the server).

A minor annoyance is that the video recording ends in an hour. I then have to re-select the video recording to continue watching what has happened in the last hour. Is there a way to avoid this ?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

A minor annoyance is that the video recording ends in an hour.
    I am not sure if I understand this correctly. So you start watching a currently recording show (total lenght 3 hrs) at t=1 hr from its beginning - and it then stops an hour later??

mikerado

Portal Member
    May 1, 2016
    Home Country
    1. An hour after the OTA show starts recording, I start watching the show (recording) from the beginning (t=0). At this point the recorded file is only 1 hour long.
    2. After 1 hour, it stops.
    3. I then have to re-select the same file recording to continue watching. At this point the recording file is 2 hours long.
    4. I fast forward to t=1hr and continue watching.

Is there a way to avoid this ?

Can I initiate a process to update the source file recording that I'm watching, while I'm watching it ?
    --- Post updated ---
    By the way, thanks for responding Sourcer !

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hhm, so the system recognizes that the file to be played has an initial lenght of 1 hr. However, the original recording is dynamically extended.

Let me try to reproduce this on my own test system. I'll then get back to you.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I can proof this is not the "normal" behavior. Yesterday I've recorded the Formula 1 race (recording was from 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm) and as usual I've started to watch around 2:00 pm (to skip commercial breaks during the race and the pre-/ post program), so exactly your scenario. I was able to watch the whole recording at once without the issues you've described here. I'm doing similar every time with Formula 1 races and I never had this issue, so for me it has to be an issue on your system and/or setup, no general MP2 one. And I'm using MP2 for a very long time already.

For this we definitely need a full set of log files and some information about your system and setup. How to do this you can read here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/how-to-post-a-bug-report-for-mediaportal-2.106173/

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks, that saves me testing this on my own system ;). I would have been surprised if this was a general phenomenon or we would have heard about it before.:D

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm not an MP2 expert (so I might not be using the correct MP2 terminology here), but mikerado, how are you playing the recording - from the TV section of MP2 or from the Video/Movie section ?

My technical thought is that if MP2 is not using TsReader.ax as the file reader, it might be using a file reader filter that only checks the file duration when it's first opened (whereas TsReader.ax constantly checks and updates the duration for the DS graph, to avoid problems like this with 'live' files).

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    if MP2 is not using TsReader.ax
    MP2 uses tsreader.ax, exactly as in MP1. When you watch a still running recording and open the OSD you can see the duration increasing every second.

Edit: But indeed this is something that can be broken in mikerado's DS system so a different player has "stolen" the job of tsreader.ax

mikerado

Portal Member
    May 1, 2016
    Home Country
    Sorry for my delayed response, as I have been out of town. Also, thank you all for your response(s). The consensus seems to be that there is something not right with my set-up.

To answer Owlsroost Q, I am launching the recording from the "Recordings" section, not TV section.

I updated my profile regarding HW set-up and I am attaching the log file(s) zip from the MP2 Logfile collector on my server.

Attachments

• MP2-LogCollector.zip
      480.7 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom