video playlists with external player (1 Viewer)

FullMoon

Portal Member
October 10, 2004
I am using my ATI MMC video player with media portal because it provides flawless video reproduction, while all other players including MP have slight imperfections in mpg2 files. However, when I do this, I cannot have it play a video playlist, which I can do with the MP player. Anyone have an idea how to have MP send playlists to an external player? Could I setup ATI media library to handle playlists in MP?

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Well, why are you having problems with your MPEG-2? I got tons of them streamed from DVB and they work perfectly. MPEG files from other sources as well. There might be something wrong with your configuration.

FullMoon

Portal Member
October 10, 2004
These are subtle effects, such as slow pans across high contrast. An example is a pan across a snowy forest at evening, as the pan moves slowly the decoder tends to not correct enough and you see a pulsing or strobing of the light color. This happens regardless of the recording settings.

When I play back on my ATI MMC, you don't see it, mainly because they have optimized their codec to work with their unit. In all other players including WMP, Zoom, and MP, you will see it. I should mention that this is on tv out through the s-video.

Again, it is very slight, but enough to irritate the perfectionist in me.

Mr.Mitchell

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    the Netherlands
    What do you mean with videoplaylist? I think that if you make a playlist in MP then the video files in that playlist will be played one by one in the external player. I didn't test this myself, but I think this is the way it should work since this is how it works with the external music players.

FullMoon

Portal Member
    October 10, 2004
    I tried that and it only plays the first file, at least with ATI MMC. I did not try that with other external programs.

FullMoon

Portal Member
    October 10, 2004
    Thanks. I will play around with assigning m3u's to either the MMC or ATI's media player to see if there is a workaround. With ATI cards, the MMC gives you the cleanest playback and I would really like to be able to use it for video files.

I'll also play with the ATI codec for the built in media player, maybe I can get it to give me similar playback performance and elimiate the middleman. I think the benefit comes fromMMC's easylook fullscreen playback. MP was supposed to have similar features but I may not have fully harnessed those.

FullMoon

Portal Member
    October 10, 2004
    Ok, I actually put media portal on a clean install, and then set the cyberlink ati decoder for video files. Guess what, no strobing or apparitions whatsoever! Perfect, I turned off my external video player and now I don't have the issue with playlists either.

Congratulations guys, your software is the only other software (along with ATI MMC) that plays back my test mpgs without any performance artifacts. I just need to use the ATI decoder on my AIW radeon card. Zoom, media player, all others show artifacts.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That's propably, why we did not understand your problem... ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom