1.15.0 Video stops playing out of nothing (1 Viewer)

killer8

Portal Pro
July 29, 2012
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi,

Yesterday I updated my mediaportal 1.14 to the new 1.15. Since today I got problems where the video stops playing without any reason. First my girlfriend said watching tv stopped and went to the tv screen(the screen with on of button and the small tv view window). Tonight I was watching football on tv and it stopped playing and went to the tv screen with the buttons and small view. I tried to start it again but it stopped again. it also started crashing then and throw some weird .NET errors in the windows logs(see watchdog zip). After a couple of restarts it was working again. When the match was finished I start watching some tv shows from disk using TV show plugins. First episode played fine but the second one stopped after around 30 minutes and returned to the episode list. After I started it again it stopped again after a couple of minutes.

After this I quit mediaportal and created this watchdog zip file to post it here(so the zip was created just after the problem occured). I never had such problems with previous releases. Can you please check my zip and help me to have this fixed as mediaportal is not really usable for me this way.

I'm using mediaportal 1.15 final on windows 10 pro with a nvidia gpu and anysee tv tuners(2)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Since today I got problems where the video stops playing without any reason.
    There's always a reason, though you might not know what it is. :)

First my girlfriend said watching tv stopped and went to the tv screen(the screen with on of button and the small tv view window).
    What date and time?
    Which channel?

Tonight I was watching football on tv and it stopped playing and went to the tv screen with the buttons and small view.
    Does "tonight" mean 1 July? (Here in NZ it is 2 July already, so saying "tonight" is a little ambiguous.)
    What time?
    Which channel?

it also started crashing then and throw some weird .NET errors in the windows logs(see watchdog zip).
    Oldest MP log starts here:
    [2016-07-01 23:26:49,624] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: MediaPortal v1.15.0.0 is starting up on Windows 10 [10.0.10586.0]

Last crash I can see is:
    "1-7-2016 22:54:22";"Application Error";"Toepassingscrash-gebeurtenissen";"Error";"Naam van toepassing met fout: MediaPortal.exe, versie: 1.15.0.0...

Sorry, it isn't possible to investigate because the crash error code doesn't make any sense (as you say, weird .NET error) and the MP log files don't cover the time when the crash(es) occurred.

When the match was finished I start watching some tv shows from disk using TV show plugins. First episode played fine but the second one stopped after around 30 minutes and returned to the episode list. After I started it again it stopped again after a couple of minutes.
    Again, what date/time?
    Which TV show? (Gotham???)
    What was the episode name/number? (Season 2 episode 18???)

I can only see two "unintentional" stops in the log files. Both are for Gotham S02E18. Both times MP stopped playback because your audio renderer was removed:
    [2016-07-02 01:21:07,978] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_DEVICECHANGE (Event: DBT_DEVICEREMOVECOMPLETE)
    [2016-07-02 01:21:07,978] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: Device type is DBT_DEVTYP_DEVICEINTERFACE - Name: High Definition Audio-apparaat
    [2016-07-02 01:21:07,979] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: Audio Renderer High Definition Audio-apparaat removed
    [2016-07-02 01:21:07,980] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - GraphicContext: device audio removed - Count 14
    [2016-07-02 01:21:07,980] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: Stop playback

[2016-07-02 01:28:00,594] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_DEVICECHANGE (Event: DBT_DEVICEREMOVECOMPLETE)
    [2016-07-02 01:28:00,595] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: Device type is DBT_DEVTYP_DEVICEINTERFACE - Name: High Definition Audio-apparaat
    [2016-07-02 01:28:00,595] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: Audio Renderer High Definition Audio-apparaat removed
    [2016-07-02 01:28:00,596] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - GraphicContext: device audio removed - Count 14
    [2016-07-02 01:28:00,597] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: Stop playback

If you don't want MP to stop playback, either:
    1. Find out why your audio renderer is removed/disconnected, and prevent that from happening, OR...
    2. Untick "stop playback on removal of an audio renderer" in MP Config -> General section -> Startup/resume settings sub-section (-->link<--).

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    There's always a reason, though you might not know what it is. :)
    You are right, and I suspect the mediaportal 1.15 update is the reason. As it started straight after I installed this.

What date and time?
    Which channel?
    I'm not sure about this exactly. But I will write this down next time it happens.

Does "tonight" mean 1 July? (Here in NZ it is 2 July already, so saying "tonight" is a little ambiguous.)
    What time?
    Which channel?
    Right, tonight means 1 July, sorry for the confusion. I'm not sure about the exact time but it happened a couple of times between 2100 and 0000. I think the problems while watching footbal was between 2230 and 2300

Again, what date/time?
    Which TV show? (Gotham???)
    What was the episode name/number? (Season 2 episode 18???)
    Yes I was watching Gotham season 2 episode 18. Around 0100 July 2nd

Find out why your audio renderer is removed/disconnected, and prevent that from happening, OR...

Can the reason also be the 1.15 update? I've downgraded to 1.14 now to see if this solves the issues as the it was also just after the 1.15 update it started. I will try with 1.14 for a little while as this one was working fine for months now without any issues.

Are there any changes in 1.15 which can cause issues like this?

My setup is like:
    HTPC(Nvidia GTX 970) -> Denon X3100 receiver through hdmi -> Samsung UE55HU7500 tv through HDMI.

When the issue happens there is nothing in the video, so i'm not expecting the cable to be the problem. Also it can be coincidence but it's obvious this problem just started after i updated to 1.15.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Can the reason also be the 1.15 update?
    I really really doubt it.

Are there any changes in 1.15 which can cause issues like this?
    None that I'm aware of.

Also it can be coincidence but it's obvious this problem just started after i updated to 1.15.
    Are you sure that W10 has not automatically updated your GPU driver recently?
    The driver is dated 2/6/2016, which is quite recent... ;)

P.S. I see that W10 was automatically updating .NET at about the time when the crashes were occurring. That could explain the crashes and weird error codes:
    "1-7-2016 12:59:42";"Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient";"(1)";"Information";"Installatie is gestart: Windows heeft de installatie gestart van de volgende update: Microsoft .Net Native Framework Package 1.2.23205.0";"43"
    "1-7-2016 12:59:47";"Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient";"(1)";"Information";"Installatie voltooid: de volgende update is geïnstalleerd: Microsoft .Net Native Framework Package 1.2.23205.0";"19"

Well done W10. :rolleyes:

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Are you sure that W10 has not automatically updated your GPU driver recently?
    The driver is dated 2/6/2016, which is quite recent... ;)
    That's a month ago. I'm using this system like 6 hours a day. So if this is the reason the problem should come up earlier right?

P.S. I see that W10 was automatically updating .NET at about the time when the crashes were occurring. That could explain the crashes and weird error codes:

Oke, maybe that's the cause. But if that's the case I expect more users to have this problem in the upcoming days/weeks.

For now I will test a bit more with 1.14 to see if this also has the problem to exclude that the problem is introduced with 1.15. If that's not the case I will try to downgrade .NET to see if that fixes the problem. But if it's .NET it can be a bug in the framework or the mediaportal code is incompatible with the newest version. Both cases makes this an Mediaportal problem right which needs a fix or workaround?

Will keep you updated. Thank you for the support so far:)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    That's a month ago. I'm using this system like 6 hours a day. So if this is the reason the problem should come up earlier right?
    That is the build/release date, not the date that you installed it.

Both cases makes this an Mediaportal problem right which needs a fix or workaround?
    I think you misunderstood. The .NET framework is in an inconsistent state while it is being updated. My guess is that the problem was caused by the inconsistent state [during update]. That's nothing to do with MP. In other words, it would have affected any version of MP - not just 1.15, and including 1.14. Now that the update is complete there should be no more weird crashes with any version of MP.

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    That is the build/release date, not the date that you installed it.
    I just checked this, and it was installed 09-06-2016. So I still not expecting this to be the problem

I think you misunderstood. The .NET framework is in an inconsistent state while it is being updated. My guess is that the problem was caused by the inconsistent state [during update]. That's nothing to do with MP. In other words, it would have affected any version of MP - not just 1.15, and including 1.14. Now that the update is complete there should be no more weird crashes with any version of MP.

So if 1.15 isn't the cause but .NET is. You expect the problem to be gone now? I'm not sure how long it takes to have .NET installed or how it works exactly, but can this be hours? I'm a java developer myself but when java updates, it just put the new version beside it and keeps working on the old version till a restart of the app.

What do you suggest me to do now to nail this problem?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You expect the problem to be gone now?
    I expect the crashing to be gone now.

What do you suggest me to do now to nail this problem?
    As I said before:
    If you don't want MP to stop playback, either:
    1. Find out why your audio renderer is removed/disconnected, and prevent that from happening, OR...
    2. Untick "stop playback on removal of an audio renderer" in MP Config -> General section -> Startup/resume settings sub-section (-->link<--).

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I've been playing with 1.14 for 2 days now and no problems so far. I will try to update to 1.15 once more to see if this one also works now.

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think this issue is not occurring anymore. I've been using 1.15 for a few days now and not had any problem like this anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom