Video stuttering after leaving MP idle for several hours (1 Viewer)

SkinsFan0521

Portal Pro
October 19, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Right now, I've been closing MP every night when I'm done using it. If I don't, when I come back to it, the video playback stutters a lot. Then, I can't figure out a way to get it working smoothly again until I reboot the whole PC. Even closing MP and re-opening it, doesn't do anything to fix the problem.

I can leave it running all day in the background on a weekend or something and it works fine. But, whenever it is idle for hours, the only thing that can be done is to reboot the PC.

Any ideas what would be causing it? I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64 and using all LAV filters/decoders and I have a ATI Radeon HD 5700 video card.

I'll take any suggestions that you may have for me because I'd just leave it up and running all the time if I could.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Users are required to submit system specs with any support request or bug report
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/1_System_Specs

How to collect and attach log files to a support thread
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

I'd also check task manager (CTRL + ALT + DEL)

Could also be a memory leak. How much memory does MP consume when it's running well and not doing anything. After MP has been idle and video is stuttering how much memory does MP consume when it is not doing anything. Ditto check for tvservice process.

Last edited:

SkinsFan0521

Portal Pro
    October 19, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Ok, well in the process of trying to get those logs, I got a little more information.

I left MP on overnight again to reproduce the problem.
    When I watched videos this morning, the stuttering was there
    I started MP in Debug mode w/no plugins and there didn't seem to be any stuttering
    Since there didn't seem to be any stuttering in Debug mode, I then restarted it in "normal" mode and the stuttering went away.
    I then closed MP and let it gather the logs.
    When I restarted MP normally (with the "Green Button" on my MCE remote) without going through the Watchdog application, everything was working great.

So, the problem (if you want to call it that) is that I couldn't get any logs of it not working because after seeing it stuttering, I started MP in debug mode and then both the debug and normal modes work fine. Also, during the stuttering, I checked the SHIFT + F1 diagnostics and I could clearly see that the lines were jumping all over the place. But, now, the green line is straight as an arrow and the red line is bouncing up and down over top of the green line (I know they're supposed to both be as straight as possible, but this is the best I could ever get it).

Any ideas what could cause that? I have added some more plugins lately, but this was happening before when I was only running the defaults plus MP-TVSeries & Moving Pictures.

I did check my MP & TVService processes and it doesn't appear to be a memory leak. Also, I'd think that if it were a memory leak, restarting both MP & TV Service would fix the stuttering, but I've done that in the past and it didn't work. But, starting in Debug mode, clears up whatever issues are there.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom