Video tagging? (1 Viewer)

Mitso

Portal Member
August 26, 2006
So I've got my movies all in the database, all 780 of them, with the proper pictures, proper titles, and mostly custom genres. Unfortunately the files are spread across 8 hard drives on my file server. In the near future I'll be getting some Terabyte hard drives and moving everything over as I upgrade to MP 1.0. Currently it looks like I'll be losing all my hard work and have to spend months slowly matching up files, pictures and names.

I have read that in such cases there can be a helper file that can be read that contains the data for the tag(like current subtitle files), and as long as it is in the same directory as the avi file a program(like MediaPortal) can be made to read that first to get all the needed tag info. Same with a picture, if it's the same name as the avi it will be picked up.

fagor

Portal Pro
September 14, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi!

As far as I know, you can change the folder, where the files are stored.
I am not at home right now and cant test it, but search in the MP-Config where you have customised your database-enties. Just move one file to another location, change the destination-folder in MP-Config and test if it works.

;-)
fagor

Mitso

Portal Member
August 26, 2006
yes, you can change it manually. I've done that several times as I've upgraded or moved files around. I just think there should be an easier way than changing 800 files manually. Trying to pull them from IMDB gave too many missnamed files also. So if Media Portal looked for a helper file first, a file that would contain the name, genre, and description, that would make it so much easier. I'm looking into this myself now. All I have to do is make it look for a file the same name as the .avi, and a .jpg file the same as the name of the .avi and have Media Portal take those files before looking on the web, then it won't matter where I move the files to, as long as I move the other two files with it. So it would look like this:
Aliens.avi
Aliens.dsc
Aliens.jpg
Bugs Life.avi
Bugs Life.dsc
Bugs Life.jpg
Am I the only person with a large .avi Movie Library? It's fine if I am, I was the only person I knew with a large .mp3 library back in '97.

kevinfreels

Portal Member
March 26, 2009
I have a similar database. I have a different issue that would probably be solved by the same solution you have mentioned. I'd like to be able to mark files watched and unwatched. You can do this in the TV section but not with AVI videos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom