Video thumbs....will this be implemented? (1 Viewer)

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
I've been using BeyondTV for a couple years now. It has a feature called "Showsqueeze" which allows you to convert from Mpeg2 to either DivX or WMV.

I usually record everything in Mpeg2 and then convert everything to DivX to save space (which usually saves me about 50% per recording with a negligible sacrifice in quality). Any recordings I want to burn to DVD I'll usually keep as an Mpeg2, cut the commercials out using VideoReDo and then burn.

You can either setup recording to automatically compress right after being recorded, or during a user configurable time frame.

This is a 100% requirement for me. I know that MP had a compress option, however it worked as well as a burnt out light-bulb. :)

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
My wishlist for MP really only contains one thing......I want a well written plug-in to transcode video files to either DivX, or WMV formats.

Until that happens, (and in my opinion) MP will trail in the footsteps of other PVR software programs.

For some reason I found this really hilarious after you had just said "Why should MP copycat MCE? MP should be built on it's own ideas and features, not based upon another piece of software." :)

But sure, you don't find the snapshot/thumbnail for videos useful, other people don't find compression options useful. That is why MediaPortal has such an extensive configuration application. I just don't see what copying things from MCE or compressing shows has to do with the feature request.

Personally, I think grabbing video thumbnails is a good idea, as it will make behaviour consistent across Recorded TV and Videos, and consistency is a good thing in an application like MediaPortal, I think.

Speaking of which, perhaps this topic should be under Feature Requests and not Talk? It is more likely to be looked at there when development is considered, I think.

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
For some reason I found this really hilarious after you had just said "Why should MP copycat MCE? MP should be built on it's own ideas and features, not based upon another piece of software." :)

MP has had it's "Compression" option available for quite some time......however it's never worked properly or to acceptable standards, so I'm hoping that it gets developed as it is a feature I would use.

If you think that's being hypocritical, then so be it, however IMO, being able to compress recordings into different formats (Divx, WMV, PSP, iPod, etc) should be as standard to PVR software as playing and recording media files.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
Yes, I am not saying there shouldn't be a compress method, just trying to keep things a little on topic.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I hope that if this request for "snapshots" of video files gets implemented, it is a user configurable option.

It annoys the hell out of me that the TV module automatically creates snapshots of recorded programs, which I find to be useless....:mad:

I find that the snapshots are way too small to be useful and are usually of a section of the recorded program that is not relevant. I would much prefer that the station's logo be displayed (as it used to be) because the name of the file already tells me what the program is, anyway......

My 2 Yen worth....;)

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I hope that if this request for "snapshots" of video files gets implemented, it is a user configurable option.

It annoys the hell out of me that the TV module automatically creates snapshots of recorded programs, which I find to be useless....:mad:

I find that the snapshots are way too small to be useful and are usually of a section of the recorded program that is not relevant. I would much prefer that the station's logo be displayed (as it used to be) because the name of the file already tells me what the program is, anyway......

My 2 Yen worth....;)

I second this!!

krl69

Portal Pro
    October 12, 2006
    Snapshot of videos is very useful...

when you have a large "familie video album" colletion. It's a little bit hard to find covers for my personal video collection at the IMDB... ;-)

Other than that, I agree that commercial videos and DVD's on youre HD, have more use of seperate thumbs!

KRL

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Yes, I would also prefer the station logo for recorded television.

I think for videos I would prefer snapshots though (as they are more likely to be relevant to the show than in recorded TV and no channel information is present).

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    when you have a large "familie video album" colletion. It's a little bit hard to find covers for my personal video collection at the IMDB... ;-)
    I also wanna use my own videos with more 'multimedia-files' (pics...), but did not tested the possibilities in last time so can't comment this more.

For the discussion here, i also thought, first time now over a year ago, how to support more user configurable cover and snapshot-features.

Maybe this thread is in some points out of date (so don't kick me), but i how you'll see my core ideas. ;)
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=4848

Best regards
    chefkoch

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Just add my two cents.

If you have small kids at home, it's really easier for them to have thumbnails, specially if they can't read.

I have this on MCE for the family videos, and thats how they select the video. I have lots of problem with MCE on the recorded TV because in this case they dont provide the thumbnail.

I also agree with the consistency argument. If it happens in one place, makes sense to happen in all similar places.

BTW, it always seemed a little bit difficult to understand the fact that MP threats videos and movies in the same way/place. I consider them different things (Ie: my family videos, and my movies)

Julio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom